Community post

Discussion

Irregular Periods after Birth control

Ok ladies so I figured I would start this topic for anyone that maybe in the same boating looking for answers and advice..

So I have 3 beautiful children and my husband and I have decided to try for another, after my last child in November of 2009 I had the mirena iud put in due to having problems with other birth controls I thought this was my best option low and behold it was not to start off the first few months were great I was also breastfeeding so no periods but then around 6 months of having it I started having severe pain and bleeding I went to the docs and they removed it because it was trying to expel itself so my doc brings in depo and basicly acted like that was my last option so I ended up being on this for about 4 years and started having very bad side effects and once i realized it had to be from depo I did some research and alot of other women were having the same problems so I made the decision to go off the shot and switched to the doc that delivered my first child (because of issue with the other doc) after talking with him he thought going off would be the best thing for me so I got the copper iud with no hormones until I was ready to try for another child. They last depo shot I had was in may of last year and I had the copper iud put in that same month and it was removed in either oct or november but my cycles of been so messed up since then its ridiculous between 35 and 40 one was even 50!! My doc has decided at this point that it should have regulated itself by now so they want me to come in to see whats going on but my question for any ladies that have dealt with this is what will they do to fix this I don't want birth control as I am trying for another baby which my doc does know but what else will they be able to do we have been trying since I had the iud removed but with my cycles being as crazy as they are there's been no luck Just hoping someone can give me some insight on what to expected from this appt Lots of luck and Baby dust to all

8 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

I can tell you that when I was on depo it took 10 months before I ever got my period back. It came back naturally because I was only 19 with a useless mother and I didn't know enough to get myself checked out. I didn't go on any hormonal birth control again until I was 22 because I was terrified of it. This is my second time stopping birth control pills to TTC. I haven't had a period yet and I am on cd45. I know where you are coming from in not wanting to go back on birth control. I am worrying that it might happen to me if my cycle doesn't begin to regulate. But I did stop depo because my husband was the one who noticed I had turned into a crazy person. I will never go back on that shot. I don't know much about it, but I thought I read that you can get a prescription from your doctor for something to help regulate that is not hormonal birth control? Keep me updated, please! Good luck and baby dust! Sticky, sticky baby dust.

9 years ago

Thanks so much for the reply :) the depo I think is one of the worst things out there I've read that you can even with draw like a drug addict going off it its terrible what it does to women I will never be going back on it .I got my first menstrual back in october after depo which was a pretty normal one but since then its been all over the place to say the least my doc said they think that's probably because of the depo and how strong it truly is but they also said they think it should have regulated itself by now even if it was just partially normal so I go on the 23rd to find out what may be causing it and what they will be doing about it. I know back in the end of November/ beginning of dec I spoke with them asking if there was anything I could do at home to try to help my body fix it like exercise, vitamins anything natural and they said no if it didn't fix itself after a few months that they would have to give me something to jump start it but didn't say what that something will be :( I will deff keep you updated and again thanks so much for the reply Good Luck to you also Baby Dust all around!!

9 years ago • Post starter

Good I hope they get it all figured out for you! Today I am going to see if I can find Vitex. It is supposed to be an herbal supplement using chasteberry to help regulate women and support fertility. It is otc so I am hoping I find it. I agree with you about depo. My sister was diagnosed with endometriosis recently and that was one of the things they suggested. She is only 18 and didn't really know about much in that department ( which is what happened to me I had started it at 17) so I begged her not to. I feel like they push it on younger women without really explaining what it does or how it affects them. I am surprised my husband who was my bf at the time stayed with me I was so emotionally and physically messed up by it. I thought when my periods didn't come back that I was infertile which devastated me. But, yes please keep me updated, I would love to know what they suggest!

9 years ago

Hi ladies! I am in a somewhat similar situation. Although I was on Nuva Ring from June 2012 until September 2013. I stopped using because DH and I decided it was time for us to have our first baby! My first cycle off the ring was normal 28 Days but since then my cycles kept getting longer and longer. My longest Cycle was 53 days. I started taking Soy isoflavones ( a natural clomid ) because my doctor will not see me for fertility issues or issues with my cycles being so long until DH and I have been ttc for at least a year. So I did take this medicine without doctor consent but I felt comfortable with it. It shortened my last cycle from 53 days to 41 days and I have taken it this cycle and am currently on CD 17 awaiting Ovulation, which for the last couple of cycles has been around cd 30 so hoping it reigns it in a little sooner this month. It is definitely no fun having such long cycles and last night I broke down about it all but I am getting closer to that 1 year mark and hopefully DH and I can get tested to make sure everything is working properly!

Best of luck to you both!

9 years ago

Robinsnest, where do you find the soy isoflavons? I could only imagine how frustrated you are! I am going crazy and this just started happening with me. It's so hard being patient with something you are so ready for and have no control over. I have already been blessed with an amazing son, but I want him to have a sibling and extend our family so bad. I wasn't prepared for this. My first was fairly quick to happen and I was back to normal after the pill. That is what I was expecting this time and I have been waiting and waiting for my period. I would love to be pregnant, but tests say no and I am pretty sure I am not anyway. But I hope everyone gets this straightened out. I feel better just talking about this with other people in the same situation. Keep in touch, and I will do the same!

9 years ago

@Darladybug I got the Soy Isoflavones at Walmart! They are the Spring Valley brand and they say 80 MG but the serving size on back says that is for 2 servings so that would mean you would need to take two of these to make the 80 MG.
From what I have read and understand these are to be taken exactly like Clomid. You take for 5 days at the beginning of your cycle only. And no longer than 3 cycles in a row. So CD 1-5 for more eggs released but not mature eggs. CD 2-6 for about 2 eggs released and a little more mature. CD 3-7 Is best of both worlds 1 egg and mature. CD 4-8 A little more mature egg. And CD 5-9 Is a very mature egg.
I have read not to start taking these any later than CD 5.
Also they say to take the lowest dose to start out with. So since clomid is usually 100MG and these are 40 MG per tablet you could do 2 tablets a day to make 80 MG or 3 tablets a day to make 120 MG.
I will say that I was a little stubborn my first time trying these and took CD 3 120, CD 4 120, CD 5 160, CD 6 160, and CD 7 200. I had VERY BAD ovulation pains taking that high of a dose and felt like I was having a kidney stone so I don't advise taking such high doses.
They say DO NOT go over 200 MG.
My last time taking them I lowered my doses and I didn't have any irregular side effects.
Also I have read that these can make regular cycles irregular. So in other words if it isn't broke don't try fixing it. My cycles were LONG and I figured it wouldn't hurt to try and it hasn't so far. This is my third cycle taking them and it has made my cycles shorter.
This cycle I did CD 2-6 just like last cycle so hoping for good results!

Hope this helps!

9 years ago

Hey ladies just thought i would update went to the doc today they order a complete blood count and are testing for pcos I also have an ultrasound on the 11th of June to make sure there's nothing going on there I should have results from blood in 3-5 days. Oh they are also testing my thyroid because they said that could make periods irregular. once i know more I will update :)

9 years ago • Post starter

Good to hear from you! Hopefully they will be able to get an answer for you. At least you would know what you are dealing with. As for me, I did start vitex 12 days ago and I had my period start 5 days after I started taking it. I must have ovulated because my temps dropped way down. I know the vitex was after I ovulated, but hopefully it will help regulate me. Last cycle was 52 days. I will keep you posted!

9 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo