Community post

Discussion

Can you have HCG leftover after MC and still ovulate?

I had a blighted ovum at 8 weeks on 06/28/13 and had a missed MC. I induced a MC with misopristol on 07/19/13 and I believe I had my first period on 08/28/13 which lasted 4 days. On CD 6 I had a +OPK and a + pregnancy test, so I think I still had leftover HCG from the MC which triggered the +OPK as well. We did the BD anyway and now one week later on CD12 I had another +OPK and + pregnancy test. We did the BD again anyway and now I am at CD14 and having ovulation pain in my left ovary and slight cramping like ovulation pain. But with HCG still in my system from the MC, I have no idea if I am ovulating or what. This is now 7.5 weeks after the MC and I didn't think it would take this long to be able to try again. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm at the point where I don't know when to trust a pregnancy test, if I get a + I won't know if it's leftover or if I really am pregnant.

06/28/13 (blighted ovum) 01/10/14 (MMC) 04/28/14 (chemical)

3 Replies • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

How high were your levels when you miscarried? I just had a blighted ovum diagnosed at 8 wks 2 days, my hCG was 89,000 at the time. Exactly four weeks later it has dropped to 19.2. I just got a positive OPK today, but I am finally getting a negative pregnancy test. Maybe you should have a quantitative hcG test done at the doctors to see where your at, and then they can take it again in a week. If it goes up, it could be a new pregnancy. I have read that sometimes not all of the tissue comes out and retained tissue can cause your hcG to remain elevated. Have you been to the doctor for follow up care?

10 years ago

I agree I had a blight ovum on Dec 5th my HCG level was 89.50 the first time then 40.1 when I miscarried. I'm getting slightly negative pregnancy tests but I also got a positive opk today. What the doctor told me is if there is any tissue left you will not ov but who knows what could happen if its very little tissue. I agree that you might want to take another HCG Quant to see what your level is. My doctor called me today to have me come in for another HCG quant and ultrasound from the one I had last week. I hope to find out more tomorrow.

<a href=

10 years ago

Okay I went to the doctor she explained that as long as our HCG levels are above 0 you won't ov. So I'm just as frustrated my last test it went up to 60 instead of going down. Geez!

<a href=

10 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo