Community post

Question

Beta HCG question

Hi ladies
I have a question for you, even though I kinda know the answer.
I’m supposed to be 7 weeks pregnant today.
I had some really light pink spotting yesterday, and went to get my hcg levels tested.
They came back at 16828.
My first one was in Nov 4th and it was 5395.
It should be a lot higher than that after 9 days, right?
Nov 4th- 5395
Nov 13th- 16828

I had a chemical pregnancy in September and got pregnant again in October, but I don’t think things are looking good, unfortunately. What do you think?
????

user submitted image

UPDATE   Miscarried @ 8 weeks

7 Answers • 3 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 7 of 7 Answers

It is a little trickier to know what is going on because they did not do the beta tests correctly. Just one test doesn't tell enough, they should have done one on November 6th to see if it doubled. The one on the 13th can't be used as the follow up because after your hcg level passes 6,000, it may take more than 4 days to double. So the way they did your betas doesn't give much insight. In my experience working in the perinatal field and having been pregnant more than once, at this point spotting usually triggers an ultrasound.

I pulled this information for you: "Your hCG level is likely to double at this rate (every 2–3 days) throughout the first 4 weeks or so of pregnancy. As your pregnancy progresses and your hCG level passes approximately 1,200 mIU/ml, it tends to take longer to double. By week six or seven, for example—about halfway through your first trimester—it may take about 3.5 days. After your hCG level passes 6,000 mIU/ml, it may take more than 4 days to double. You can usually expect your hCG level to stop rising between week eight and week 11 of pregnancy. That is the time period during which the hormone tends to reach its peak."

Pink spotting and tiny amount of red blood don't necessarily mean that you're having a miscarriage it can be very common, but they're definitely things you want to bring to your provider as a reason for an ultrasound. Unfortunately unless you start heavier bleeding, until you have an ultrasound, there is no way to know for sure is you're pregnancy is viable.

I hope that everything is ok, I'm sorry for your loss in September. I've had chemicals and a loss found on early ultrasounds, it is really scary, but keep up the hope. You're pregnant until you know otherwise.

3 years ago • Edited

Thanks for your reply and the information.
I have an ultrassound booked for Wednesday, but I might just go to the hospital tomorrow. If this is indeed a miscarriage, I will need a Rhogam shot.

3 years ago • Edited • Post starter

I will send positive energy your way that everything is ok. I'm shocked that you reported spotting and are RH negative and they didn't want to scan sooner than Wednesday.

3 years ago

Thank you for your words.
I’m at the hospital, waiting to have my scan.

3 years ago • Post starter

How did it go?

3 years ago

Hi! So... Beta hcg- 26710.
Gestacional sac -6w3d-, but no fetal pole.
Possibly an anembryonic pregnancy, but they want to have another ultrassound in 2 weeks to confirm, there’s a possibility that it was just too early to see anything, but I feel like the ER doctor didn’t want to be the one breaking the news.
They also found a small subchrorionic hemorrhage.
I’m still spotting, so...
Hugged my two kiddos like never before when I got home from the hospital today.
Good night

user submitted image

3 years ago • Post starter

I'm glad that you were able to be seen. I hope all works out ok

3 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo