Community post

Question

Anyone have a pituitary tumor? can it affect fertility????

I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor last year,im 25 years old and will be 26 next Friday. The tumor is affecting my prolactin levels which causes me to lactate which can be very annoying. I have an appointment Monday but I'm wondering if the prolactin issue could be affecting my chances of falling pregnant. Any comments are greatly appreciated!!

7 Answers • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 7 of 7 Answers

Yes, it can affect it. If your prolactin is too high you may not ovulate normally or at all. Also, the pituitary gland is kinda the hormone power house of your body. If it has issues, then your hormones could be very messed up. I would definitely make and apt with your Obgyn and let him know this diagnosis. He can do some bloodwork and what not to try and see if he can possibly help you with getting your hormones balanced out. Good luck.

10 years ago

Thank you, it was discovered by my obgyn and I went to get an MRI. I went to see an endocrinologist,whom im not very fond of, and she told me its too small to cause any problems, but yet its causing me to lactate ?! Tell me how that makes any sense. But I see the endocrinologist tomorrow in the morning and I'm going to request she give me something to help with infertility because im trying to have a baby. It is crazy how some docs act like they just don't care!! :-(

10 years ago • Post starter

At age 24 I dealt with high prolactin levels and had fertility issues. I did not have a tumor but nevertheless the prolactin was too high. I was on "Parlodel" for many months. Despite the medications my hormones were out of whack for a very long time. It took us 13 years to finally conceive. I hope your tumor can be treated promptly and your issues go away quickly. The very best wishes and the Lord's blessings.

10 years ago

Thank you, and wow im sorry to hear that. I really don't know what to think anymore. I read that the Bromocriptine(parlodel) can help with the prolactin issues but Im also taking Cymbalta for fibromyalgia and depression so im wondering if that could cause my levels to rise?? Either way it shouldn't be this hard for me to get pregnant at this age. My doctor is going to have to put me on something to help me out

Phillips how were you finally able to conceive?? If you don't mind me asking :-)

We tried IVF three times, all failed. Then went on to a GIFT procedure which failed. Lastly the ZIFT procedure helped us and we became successful. This was 13 years ago. ZIFT and GIFT are not done any longer because they are invasive. We worked with Dr. Sherman Silber in St. Louis at that time and I believe it was one of the last GIFT and ZIFT procedures he did. Send me a message if you like. Best wishes.

10 years ago

Thank you Phillips! :-D

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo