Community post

Question

underweight and ttc

I am 5foot 4inches, 85-90 pounds at age 21. My mom was also like this at age 25 and had no problem concieving my sister or I. I have been actively ttc for about a year. Althugh I am underweight I have pretty regular peroids (always within a day or two). Any ideas? Should I try taking vitamins and minerals to help or?? Anyone else have a problem simular to this?

10 Answers • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 10 of 10 Answers

Just make sure u eat ur daily requirements and take a prenatal. Some ppl are just built small, if ur periods are fairly regular then ur weight isn't an issue. When I was 21, I was 106lbs at 5'9" and I conceived. I had blood work done a few months prior, due to a surgery, and was told I had the blood of a 15yr old...weight is only a factor if it messes with ur cycles and u aren't getting the necessary vitamins. Are u tracking ur ovulation date or are u assuming it falls in the middle of ur cycle?

11 years ago

i'm not sure when i ovulate. I have been doing the whole ever second or third day thing

11 years ago • Post starter

For a year? Omg u've got a drive lol. U may wanna look into doing opk's and taking ur basal temp daily, that way u can foresee ovulation and get more sperm there waiting...temps will confirm it for u so u wont have to wonder. U could also have some testing done to see if everything's ok...but ur not the only one in this, so ur partner should get checked out as well...he may have a low count, morphology or motility...that would def hinder conception. Won't know til u get checked.

11 years ago

The reason I have been trying for so long is because fibromyalgia runs on the female side of my family, so I was hoping to have children early so I would be able to be more active in their childhood.

Yeah that sounds like a good plan...I would def hit up a doctor and see if u can have some tests run.

11 years ago

do you have any idea whatkind of tests would be done?

For a male it would most likely be blood work and a sperm analysis...for u, definitely blood work and possible ultrasound to check out the ovaries, tubes, uterus etc. U could post that as a question, I'm sure there are lots of ladies who have had tests done and could tell ya all the details. I haven't been checked...yet, but I'm nearing the one year mark so I will be booking appts soon!! =))

11 years ago

I am a dietitian and we learned in school that being over or underweight can still affect your chances of getting pregnant even with regular periods. This is because fat cells make some of the estrogen in you body and if you have too little or too many fat cells, this can through your hormones out of balance. It doesn't mean you can't get pregnant if you are over or underweight, it just may be a bit harder. Your doctor may suggest trying to gain some weight by eating more nutrient rich, high calorie foods (like avocado, peanut butter, nuts, oils) to see if it helps. Hope this helps and good luck!

11 years ago

I would have blood work done, then an ultrasound, esp if ur at a year. Get ur man checked also. Im not understanding the "too little or too many fat cells" comment. The number of fat cells u have doesnt increase or decrease with gain or loss, only the size of those fat cells. As cells die off, new ones are born to replace them, in the end u still have the same amount of cells. The only way to get rid of fat cells is surgery (liposuction). =))

Definitely start taking a prenatal so u can build stores of iron and folate, and also look in to taking omega 3. Try tracking ur cycle with opk's and bbt for a few cycles to see if ur even ovulating, then go from there. Stay positive!! =))

11 years ago

I was also underweight and having fertility problems. My doctor recommended whole dairy plus high protein like nuts to help put on some weight. It's a healthy way to put on fat without tons of sugar and carbs and stuff. The doctor recommended putting it on in fat because hormone is stored in fat, and that should help with keeping the hormones regular.

TTC #2 naturally after infertility treatment for #1 User Image

11 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo