Community post

Question

Vastly different cycles from one month to the next - is this normal?

Hi there
This is my second month TTC and I was wondering how many of you experience differences in your cycles from one month to the next? I have always found that one month my AF would be quite heavy, but not very painful, whereas the next month it would be lighter, but with quite a lot of cramping. Is this normal? I know one month you ovulate from one ovary and one month from the other, but what can be causing the differences? Do you think that I may be more fertile in the one month than in the other? Should I only compare symptoms from month 1 with month 3 and month 2 with month 4,so that I can be sure to compare 'apples with apples' (so to speak)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Poll:
I have vastly different cycles every month (2 votes)
My cycles vary from month to month, but in a stable pattern (4 votes)
My cycles are very similar every month (2 votes)

User Image

3 Answers • 12 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Answers

My cycles are fairly similar from month to month. Usually not too long or heavy compared to what I hear other women talking about. (4-5 days mild/moderate bleeding and spotting.) Usually my cramps are pretty bad. I don't think the ovaries "alternate" from right to left every month consistently- I think you can ovulate a few times in a row from the same side.

12 years ago

Thank you, imatestingfool! I did some further research and you are totally correct. Ovulation can happen randomly from either the left or the right ovary. What research has shown, however, is that the side of ovulation is correlated to the length of the follicular phase (the time during which the egg matures) of that cycle. In cycles with a short follicular phase, the left over corpus luteum (the 'sack' that develops in the ovary every month and releases the hormones needed for ovulation), prevents ovulation from that ovary happening again and ovulation then takes place from the other one. It seems that if your follicular phase is consistently longer than 14days, then ovulation will take place from either the left or the right ovary at random. If it is shorter than 14days, then you might find that you alternate consistently between the left and the right.
Still not sure what this means in terms of symptom tracking, but hey, at least I learned something new!

User Image

12 years ago • Post starter

I would try not to compare cycles period. Yes it's true that you will O from one ovary and the next time you will O from the other ovary BUT it doesn't always switch off every other month... You could O from the left for 3 months in a row, it's very hard to tell, so trying to compare apples with apples would really be so accurate. Nice wording of your question thou :-) I liked that apple a lot lol. But like I said, every cycle is different and your symptoms will be different each time too whether they are from pregnancy or just progesterone, I would really try not to compare cycles. Best of luck to you, I hope you get your bfp soon! Baby dust!! Xxxx

BEEN TRYING TO CONCEIVE MY RAINBOW BABY FOR 6 MONTHS SO HARD FOR A

12 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo