Community post

Discussion

Jet Lagged and uncertain...

I am 4 days late for my incredibly predictable period. I just returned on Friday evening from a 2 week vacation that was 10 time zones away. According to the interwebs, that could very well be the cause for my period lag. I have traveled frequently for years and have never experienced period lag in the past but I suppose every cycle is potential for uncharted territory.

I took a HPT last night and tonight, both were negative. Here are the symptoms but unfortunately with some serious jet lag this trip (I feel like it is the worst I have ever experienced!), I don't know here from there.

- Sore throat - I have had this for 6 days
- Vivid dreams - also seems to have started around 6 days ago
- Fatigue - probably jet lag, but it is pretty bad this go around and my husband is already over it!
- Mild AF type of cramping that started Saturday morning after we returned - I thought at the time AF was coming early, but days later still nada. I have had this cramping off and on, to the point that a few times I just assumed it meant my period was imminent.
- My breasts are a little tender on the sides and base. Not horribly uncomfortable or anything.
- Bloated and gassy - started about 3 days ago
- stuffy nose - started early this morning.
- Increased thirst - this has been so noticeable that my husband declared something was wrong with me days ago (he doesn't know I am late yet). I just said I was dehydrated from the plane.

I don't know what to think and am trying to not get my hopes at all. Some posts online say jet lag can cause major period delays but none of my friends that travel have ever had it happen and I wasn't stressed at all during this trip. In fact, it was one of the most relaxing trips of my life. At this point, shouldn't I be getting a BFP if I am that late??

4 Replies • 12 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

I just returned from a two week vacation 10 time zones away too :) My period isn't due for another week or so, but now I'm curious to see what happens. I would imagine even if the vacation was relaxing, just the stress on the body of traveling that many times zones could cause a delayed period.

I can definitely sympathize with the confusion between which symptoms are caused by jet lag and which might be pregnancy signs! Some of mine started before my return trip home, and then ones like fatigue were exacerbated by traveling. It's making the TWW even more unbearable!

12 years ago

Still no AF! I have some PMS type symptoms like sore bbs and mild, random AF type of cramping that started the morning after we returned.

I wasn't even thinking about TTC on this trip so I didn't really track any Ovulation or signs before I realized I was late for my period. My O day should have been around March 25th/26th but I recall thinking I was really "wet" down there (sorry TMI!!) around the 29th or so, so in hindsight, maybe my O day was delayed due to the long hike getting to our vacation. Even then, I should have started my period by now! There are a couple of other little things that now when I look back, might be a "sign" like I felt this weepy happy moment a couple of times on our last week away. I remember thinking, why in the world am I tearing up!?!? I assumed at the time it was due to impending AF that was expected on the 9th.

Let me know how it goes for you. Normally, my trips seem to overlap with my period at some point, but this particular trip fell perfectly within the AF free weeks.

I don't want to get my hopes up...

12 years ago • Post starter

Hey! How did everything turn out for you?

I went to the doctor (for something unrelated to pregnancy), and he ended up ordering a blood test for me even though AF wasn't due yet. Came back negative, however, AF is now officially late. I'm thinking that jet lag and travel stress is most likely the factor.

12 years ago

I ended up being technically pregnant (I had multiple (different brands) + hpts and then they showed up neg after a few days). When I went to the doctor, my urine tested negative and my symptoms disappeared around that day. AF/miscarriage took place shortly after. Deep down I just want it to be jet lag and not feel like I am broken. Bleh.

I did read that serious jet lag, more than 6 hours, can cause a delay. One article said up to 10 days!

12 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo