Community post

Discussion

Negative, then Positive, then Negative HPT?

Hi all. Wondering if anyone has experience with conflicting HPT results?

I had a very short day and a half period (or bleeding) around the time of my normal period. Never had one that short. EVER. It appeared as mostly brown/old blood but did have some red/pink in there the first day. Then some spotting, only enough when I wiped really. Got excited and took an HPT in the afternoon, 3 days ago, the last day of slight spotting. I got a negative. Then, the next day, I took another HPT in the afternoon, after reading up on implantation bleeding. A faint positive appeared within 3-5 minutes. I have NEVER had even the faintest of a second line on probably what have been about 60 tests that I've taken with hope, in the last 6 years... So, I was thrilled! Of course, I wanted to confirm. So, I took two yesterday one with FMU and one in the afternoon, and then one this afternoon but all three follow up HPTs have been negatives! I've had no bleeding or spotting to indicate a loss.

Has this happened to anyone else? Have I gotten a false positive? Am I getting false negatives? I'm confused and disheartened. Been TTC my first for almost 6 years now.

3 Replies • 7 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

I had this happen to me this past week and it was a chemical pregnancy my doctor says.

7 years ago

Just curious what your outcome was? I had a vvvf positive 7dpo, then vvvf positive 8dpo, and now at 9 dpo I'm getting negatives and fainter positives and it's driving me mad. None of the positives have been clear on any days. Just enough to make me hopeful, but not get dark enough to know for certain what I am seeing.

7 years ago

Hi, I get false positives all the time (well have done for 3 months now) My consultant said that this is chemical pregnancy because you cannot get false positives you can only get pos result if there IS some hormone xxx

7 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo