Community post

Discussion

From IUI to IVF what I've learned what you could help with

So ladies, after two failed IUI's, my husband and I have decided to move to IVF. I would like to share what I've learned about IUI (might help others), and would request you all to help me out with IVF, what I should know as a patient.

1- Know your body. I know I needed at least 150IU of Menogon or Gonal F to have optimum follicular growth. Keep track of what works for you don't always leave it to the RE (of course you only find out after trying for at least 2 cycles, but stay vigilant).

2- TIMING IS CRUCIAL! IUI-1 should be within 24hrs of the trigger, IUI-2 within 36hrs. If you or your RE mess up the timing you reduce your chances considerably.

3- E2 (Estradiol) levels matter. E2 levels indicate if you have mature eggs inside follicles. With lower starting doses of Menogone and Gonal F I gave bad E2 levels, with higher starting dose I gave better results. Don't wait to get your E2 done on the day of the trigger just to know it's too low. Keep track on your own.

4- Egg quality. Ask your RE to prescribe some pills to improve the quality of your eggs, such as Glasterone. the better the egg quality the better the chances of fertilization. Your egg when released lasts for 12 - 24 hours, and fertilization happens within that time period so by 2dpiui fertilization has already occurred.

5- Menogon is MUCH more cheaper than Gonal F, do ask your RE about it if you're paying for your IUI and all medications yourself. For me Menogon worked better that Gonal F and saved me a fortune as well (In PKR, Gonal F 75IU costs Rs 2260 and Menogon 75IU costs Rs700.....!!).

I hope this is at least somewhat helpful. I came to know of it all after 2 failed cycles of IUI, but by then we had already decided to go for IVF the next time around.

What do I need to know about IVF as a patient? How can I make sure from my side that everything is right? What hormonal levels, what tests should I know about? What is MY role? Any information will be immensely helpful and will be extremely appreciated.

Me: Hypopituitarism, slightly atrophied ovaries. DH: no issues Naturally tried: 2008 Clomid + OPKs: 2009 - 2010 FSH + timed intercourse: Sep 2011 IUI#1: October 2011 IUI#2: November 2011 IVF#1: FEbruary 2012 User ImageUser Image User Image

2 Replies • 12 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

Hello

DH and I are due to go in for EC in a few days, this is our 2nd IVF cycle (we didn't bother with IUI as we have severe male factor infertility). When are you starting your first IVF cycle? Do you know what protocol you are using?

I guess the only thing really in your control is to make sure you are being helathy and take all your meds(and there will be ALOT of them) properly and at the right time. It all about timing but you would be used to that having gone through your IUI cycles!

Let me know if you have any worries, hopefully I can help

12 years ago

Thank you so much Eve :)

I'll actually be visiting a new RE in January to get started with things so I don't know yet which protocol I will be using.

I guess you're right it's all about timing and I think somewhat about luck, sometimes everything will be just right and yet something will go wrong at the end, and sometimes it all seems wrong and then it turns out well.

Best of luck to you for your EC and the rest of cycle!! Do keep me posted about how things go :)

xoxo

Me: Hypopituitarism, slightly atrophied ovaries. DH: no issues Naturally tried: 2008 Clomid + OPKs: 2009 - 2010 FSH + timed intercourse: Sep 2011 IUI#1: October 2011 IUI#2: November 2011 IVF#1: FEbruary 2012 User ImageUser Image User Image

12 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo