Community post

Discussion

1st IVF cycle - waiting for ER on Wed 12 Oct...

Hi,

I am 42 and I am trying to conceive with my DBF (male factor infertility). This is my first cycle with meds ever and we are trying to put everything on the IVF card, skipping IUI. Before, we tried to conceive naturally and I already have a 4-year old from a previous relationship.

I never thought that would end up in a fertility clinic, so I never really looked at IVF and everything that's related. After our last BFP we just decided to give it a try right away, so I didn't even have time to read up on the Internet.

Now that the ER is approaching quickly, I am getting very nervous and would love to find some cycle buddies or ladies who can share their IVF experiences...

Today's u/s showed 4 follies, two on each side around 18-21 mm. I would have wished for more follies, but my RE thinks that I should be happy with four at my age... The uterus lining was 15mm and she was very happy with that.

I did my HCG shot today and in about 33 hours I will have my ER...

Lots of babydust!!!!

Me: 43 DBF: 49 13 unsuccessful cycles TTC IVF #3: u/s 8w2d: bean stopped growing, no hb , 06/21 D&C IVF #4 BFP - it's a girl! 06-03-2013 Fiona Isabel was born

19 Replies • 12 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 10 of 19 Replies | Last Page

Hello

How exciting for you that all goes well for you.

I too am having IVF/ICSI for male factor infertility, DH and I are starting our 2nd cycle in 2-3 weeks. What kind of IVF protocol are you on?? Are you finding you are reacting ok to the meds? It's one whacky ride isn't it

Dont be nervous about the EC procedure, it was easy . . well i was knocked out completely so it was nothing. I was quite sore for about a week after though, nurse said the pain was from bruised ovaries, was still able to work though so not too bad! I had 7 good follicles, from which they got 6 eggs, of which 5 were mature and 4 fertilized.

Let me know how you go with your EC

12 years ago

Hi Evelyn,

so glad to see that someone is in the same boat... so you are waiting for your 2nd IVF cycle already? Wow, hopefully this one will work out.

I am not sure what my protocol is exactly, meaning I don't know the name for it. Of course, somewhere I found some information that there are different ways to stimulate but I have no clue, which protocol would do what.

I started on CD3 with Menogon (hMG) 3x75 and then on CD 7 or so, I started with Orgalutran (Ganirelex), to suppress ovulation.

Yesterday was CD 11 and I did my HCG shot. Tomorrow morning will be the egg retrieval.

I am a little concerned about having only four follies. Though the RE said that this is okay for "my age"... In the previous cycle I had 5 antral follies, thus I was hoping for more.

Hopefully in the end it's quality not quantity that matters. I hope to get at least two fertilised eggs transferred to "double" my chances of a BFP... Let's see.

No, I had no side effects from the meds, maybe because there is no risk over overstimulation at my age. The only "side effect" was that my boobs have increased in size but without being sore like in early pregnancy. DBF appreciated that ;)

I read that BDing before the transfer should help with implantation, but I figure I might be way too sore on Thursday to be able to do that?

Also, someone told me to drink a glass of red wine after the transfer, which should improve blood flow to the uterus and thus aid implantation? Not sure about the alcohol factor though...

I will keep you posted on how things go...

Me: 43 DBF: 49 13 unsuccessful cycles TTC IVF #3: u/s 8w2d: bean stopped growing, no hb , 06/21 D&C IVF #4 BFP - it's a girl! 06-03-2013 Fiona Isabel was born

12 years ago • Post starter

Goodluck, I guess you would be in for your ER about now for healthy eggs, you're right, quality not quantity

You're lucky you got put on a short cycle, I haven't met anyone who has been on a long one like me yet. My treatment cycles last for 8 weeks!!! its torture, and the meds really knock me about. . . its the synarel that they use to down reg my natural cycle that gives my terrible headaches and mood swings. I have my fingers crossed for a short cycle next time, will find out when I visit FS in 2 days.

I was also told by my nurse to BD the night before implantation, something to do with some enzymes your body creates after BD that are good. . . . i'm not really sure. We BD the night before our 3 day transfer it was a little painful but also still good (are you having a 3 day transfer? Or aiming for a 5 day blast?(we tried for a 5 day but our little embies were struggling so we transfered early)), I was also put on estrogen patches, progesterone pessaries and baby asprin to help create a good lining for implantation. I had not heard about the red wine, would at least help settle the nerves as embie wouldn't have implanted alcohol in theory would be ok, after trying so hard though I stay away from it during treatment cycles. (except I allow a couple of glasses between ER and transfer if I feel like it )

Thinking of you, let me know how you go!!

12 years ago

Oh, and just a heads up . . maybe TMI, but the ER gave me some constipation (never happens to me!!) . . apparently this is very common, and it makes your ovary pain worse. Maybe have some laxetives or prune juice on hand !!!!

Yay what fun

12 years ago

Hi Eve,

ER happened this morning... Unfortunately, the four follies yielded only three eggos, one of them didn't look too good, so the RE suggested we upgrade to ICSI... I will know by tomorrow if we got something to transfer.
I am not really sore, just slightly, sitting at home resting... RE told us that BD tomorrow and after transfer on Friday would be fine.
Since the transfer is scheduled for Friday, I guess it's a day 2 transfer. Not sure if it matters on how long the keep the berries in the dish? My doc advised against a blastocyst culture, she said we would not benefit from it. We are doing assisted hatching, acupuncture for the transfer and embryo glue.
Just read a quote today by our late Steve Jobs>

"QUALITY is more important than quantity. One home run is much better than two doubles."

So let's hope one of those eggos is golden.

Wow, why is your protocol that long? Who know's - if this one doesn't work out, maybe I'll have a long one too?

How did your little embies go?? Hope all is well and you are not feeling too sore!!

I dont know much about assisted hatching or embyro glue, what are these to help with??

My clinic aims for a 5 day blast because they get highest pregnancy rates with them . . I guess the longer you leave them the clearer it becomes which emryos are the strongest. However I was told that the embyos do best in their "natural" enviroment which is why they transfer early if they are not doing too well. Or in your case, if you are having both transfered it would make sense to put them back in thier happy home asap

It only takes 1

12 years ago

Hey there Eve,

today was my transfer... only one embie made it. Now all I can do is rest and pray... and hope that it's a little fighter... You are right, 5-day blasts have a much higher implantation rate, but my doctor said it only makes sense to wait for blasts, if you have enough embies to choose from. If you only got one or two, they should go back to the mother's womb asap. My blood test is IN exactly two weeks today, which is Friday the 28th... I wonder if it's possible to POAS earlier than that?

When are you going to start your protocol?

Hugs

Torontochick, best of luck!! I'll be doing ivf in late Dec-early Jan and I'm a bit nervous.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Eve, 8 weeks. eek! Sending (((hugs))) your way.

12 years ago

I know it's still super early, but I am wondering on how early I could actually POAS? My beta is scheduled for Oct 28, which is like two weeks past transfer, but that seems like an aweful long time. In addition, I can't even symptom spot, as I already feel preggers... Boobs are much larger and sore, CM is messy due to the progesterone, feeling pinches and pulling... But at this point, the embie can't even have implanted yet...

Cheers,
tc

The TWW post embie transfer is so incredibly frustrating!! You feel so preggers from the progerstone suppliments!! What can you do?? Nothing....................just wait..ARRR!!!!

i have heard of people getting BFP's 7 days post transfer, but that was blasties... So maybe 10 days post transfer for you?? Not sure, I tested for 3 days prior to blood test. It is always dissapointing to see a BFN, but I feel it prepared me a little for the results on the big day!! I was at work when I got the results of the blood test and if I hadn't been prepared I think I would have gone to pieces. Will you be at work when the clinic rings with your results?

12 years ago

Last page

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo