Community post

Discussion

Using OPKs as HPTs How to do it...and a question.

Has anyone ever used an OPK as an HPT? Here is the link describing how and why it works, it's pretty informative: http://www.peeonastick.com/opkhpt.html

That being said, I used an OPK as an HPT yesterday (7dpo) and today (8dpo). Both had very faint second lines, but were negative because the particular type of OPKs I use, the second line has to be as dark or darker than the control line to be positive. If you have ever used OPKs as HPTs, and later went on to get a positive HPT, what did your OPKs look like? How many dpo were you and how long did it take to get a true positive OPK?

User Image TTC #1 Since 2007 #1 7/7/10 EDD 3/14/11 m/c 8/18/10 10w2d #2 4/8/11 Cautiously Expecting Our Miracle 12/21/11

4 Replies • 13 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

I am such a POAS addict and had such a strange cycle with delayed O that I tested like crazy last cycle.
So cycle day 28 I had a +opk and a -HPT. CD 33 I had a - HPT and - opk.CD 34 both still - same for CD 37 and 38. CD 39 -opk but extremely faint +HPT. CD 40 med + HPT -opk. CD 41 -opk dark + HPT. CD 42 was when my pregnancy finally showed on a opk.
A sensitive HPT test for lower levels of hormone so it will show + before an opk.

13 years ago

In past months, I tested around 12 dpo with an opk and got a faint second line. Then I read online that we naturally have low levels of LH in our systems post ovulation. THIS month, I tested with an opk at 11dpo (evening urine) and saw a second line that was almost as dark as the control line. I had already suspected I was pregnant due to new symptoms and what looked like a super squinter on an hpt at 10 dpo, but didn't want to put too much into an opk test and only had one more pregnancy test. So I waited until morning (12dpo) to use my last HPT and got a standard positive. Since then (I am now 14 dpo) I have been using opks because that's all I have and they have been getting progressively darker. This morning the lines were pretty much the same color. I will test again tomorrow with an HPT only cause AF is do and I want the extra assurance. Side note: I had a blood test done at 9dpo to check my progesterone levels and because I suspected I was pregnant and my HCG came back at 13, progesterone at 32. The blood test was done on a Friday and didn't get the results back until Monday, which by then had already gotten my positive. So, yes you can test with opks, but like the website says, it makes more sense to do it after the fast and not as a replacement because your only gonna keep wondering.

13 years ago

Thank you!!

Congratulations on your pregnancies!!

User Image TTC #1 Since 2007 #1 7/7/10 EDD 3/14/11 m/c 8/18/10 10w2d #2 4/8/11 Cautiously Expecting Our Miracle 12/21/11

13 years ago • Post starter

I was curious after reading your post and the article on using opks as hpt's. I'm 9 weeks, but I have some leftover internet cheapies and decided to give it a try. The test line formed as the stick was absorbing the urine, and it was like 10x darker than the control line. This probably doesn't help if you want to use the opks as an hpt, but I thought it was kinda reassuring that hormone levels were rising. When all is said and done, I would always use an hpt. Its hard enough seeing the line on that, let alone trying to determine if one is darker than the other.

Married to an amazing man, mother to a 4 y/o beagle, and bringing baby #1 home around November 9th, 2011!!!!!!! User Image User Image

13 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo