Community post

Discussion

How Do You Sleep?

Hello

I have been sleeping on my right side because my left has been a little uncomfortable but now I have been reading I should be lying on my left!

Does anyone have any information on what is the best position to sleep?

Can lying a certain way harm baby?

Can I squash baby by how I sleep?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Lx

pregnancy week by week

5 Replies • 13 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

Replies (sorted by informative)

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

From what I've read, it doesn't really make a difference until you're much further along in your pregnancy. I've been sleeping on my right side too, because, like you said, my left is kind of uncomfortable. You should be fine, and I'd think that getting as much sleep as you can is the bigger benefit! lol. At least, that's what I've been telling myself...lol. That's what I've read, though.

User Image I want a !!! User Image

13 years ago

The only thing I have heard is that sleeping on your back for extened period of times once the baby is bigger--I want to say after maybe 18 weeks or so--can cut off blood supply, but you should be fine sleeping on either side at any time. My hips hurt when I wake up these days, no matter what position I sleep in. For now I think you shoudl be just fine on your right side

BabyFruit Ticker

13 years ago

Thanks ladies - that has really set my mind at ease.

Lx

pregnancy week by week

13 years ago • Post starter

Hi Lemons

I've been alternating between sides and my back, and I was having a really hard time getting comfortable. A couple of things that helped:
-getting a memory foam ergonomic pillow (got mine at IKEA) for side and back sleeping
-when on my side, place pillow along my stomach to support my body and also take some pressure off my sore boobs
-when on my side, place a pillow between my knees
-when on my back, place a pillow under my knees

From what I've read, concerns about sleeping on your back don't enter until you're starting to show, and when pressure to your vena cava can cut off blood supply. However, there's a great section in Dr. Oz's book (YOU, Having a Baby) about sleeping positions while pregnant. His book depicts a woman well into her second or third trimester on her back, but with pillows in strategic positions to help with your lungs and blood supply.

You might also look into a pregnancy wedge, which is a special pillow that will support your stomach while sleeping on your side. I don't need one yet, but I will probably get one.

13 years ago

Thanks Whippet - I think I will get one of those cushions. It will really help as I get bigger to make sleep time more comfortable.

Lx

pregnancy week by week

13 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo