Community post

Discussion

A thread for RUNNERS who are TTC or pregnant!

Hello! I am hoping to hear from other runners who are TTC or pregnant.

My doctor told me that it is safe to run while TTC and pregnant. However, i sill worry because I get hot and my heart rate gets high when I run. I worry that it could prevent implantation or affect a pregnancy should I get pregnant.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience they could share on this? I really don't want to stop running. I have an anxiety disorder and running helps me control my anxiety such that I don't need medication for it.

Thanks ladies!

User Image TTC since June 2012. DH: 32 Me: 29 October 2012: DH diagnosed with varicocele and low morphology 1-2% to all!

11 Replies • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 10 of 11 Replies | Last Page

Hi Jazzy! Well, I'm a runner and I'm 5w4d pregnant. I normally run 3-4 times a week, anywhere from 3 to 5 miles, so no crazy long distances. But like you, ive been concerned, especially about the heat. One day, it was relly humid out and I was so hot at the end of my run. That was when I had just found out I was pregnant. I decided no more running in the heat of the day. If it's hot and humid, I don't run. The pregnancy hormones get me up early anyway, so I run before it gets too hot. The heart rate thing is fine, I'm sure. I think the body temperature is more of a concern. I still warm up, mind you, just not crazy hot like it was that day.

My honey uses running to manage anxiety, and he runs even in the heat of things. Clearly, running is better than anxiety meds for the baby. I also think raging anxiety can't be good for a developing baby. So if you are careful about choosing when you run, I think you should see this as something you are doing FOR the health of your baby!

Happy running!

11 years ago

Thanks for the advice! Congrats on being pregnant.

I have heard the same thing about heat and humidity. I run on the treadmill in the basement, so I think I am ok enviroment-wise.

I also run 3 times a week, about 3-4 miles, so nothing huge. I have always had an abnormally high heart rate while exercising. It goes to like 180 to 185 by the second half of my run, jogging at a moderate level of difficulty for me. (not feeling over-exerted). My doctor could not find anything wrong with me physically and said to go by RPE instead of heart rate if I get pregnant.

Some people say to keep it at 140 bpm, but that would be impossible for me. Lots of sources also say that rule is outdated.

Congrats on your pregnancy. Hopefully you can keep running for a while. It's the best exercise imo!

User Image TTC since June 2012. DH: 32 Me: 29 October 2012: DH diagnosed with varicocele and low morphology 1-2% to all!

11 years ago • Post starter

I agree... heart rate is not so much of a concern as body temperature. I had similar concerns when I started TTC but the doctor said anything you're already used to doing is fine as long as you're not overheating (if you're pregnant - she didn't see an issue during the tww, but I watch it anyway just in case). I agree just run early in the mornings on super hot or humid days and/or run in the gym.

I also run to manage my moods, and I figure for now I just do easy runs during my tww to be on the safe side, even though my doctor doesn't think it's an issue at all. If and when I get my BFP, I'll probably be more careful about overheating, but I don't plan to stop altogether! In fact I'm training for a 10k in October & plan to run it even if I get a bfp before then, although I'll definitely be watching my speed and how I feel a lot more closely if I am pregnant.

The way I see it, if a competitive marathon runner like Deena Kastor can have kids, then I don't see why those of us who probably put in way less mileage should have a problem.

BFP 11/2011; missed m/c 12/2012; D&C 1/2012. Surgery to remove fibroids 4/2012. Trying again 7/2012~ --------- I'm on a quest to live life as if every day were vacation. Follow my journey at http://summerandsundays.com

11 years ago

Thanks for starting this thread. I had a Chemical Pregnancy this month and although I didn't know it at first, I stopped working out completely and running is important for me because I have to stay fit because of my job. I will talk to my physician about it, but it is nice to know that I don't have to stop running altogether (at least in the begining).

Silly, but thought running might shake something loose!

User Image

11 years ago

What would you all suggest for a runner who has not been running--consistently anyway--the last few months? Now that fall is here and my schedule is getting back to normal, I am hoping to pick up more mileage. However, I'm nervous because the change in activity level almost always without fail, leads to a delayed AF! I don't know if I can deal with throwing it off and starting all over with getting to know my cycle. Then, at the same time, I don't want to stop running/workout out completely either. Maybe somewhere in between is best?

11 years ago

Has it caused a delayed AF for you before?

I have never had a delayed AF from activity. I have from stress though.

I would say go ahead with the activity but do not do anything too strenuous and make sure you stay a healthy weight.

I am continuing to run and strength train while TTC. However, I have added walking breaks into my runs this month, so that it isn't quite as strenuous. JUST in case there is some effect. But I think as long as you are not underweight and your cycles are still regular, you should be good to go!

Yes, I have definitely had delayed AF due to a change in my exercise patterns. I think my body perceives the change as stress.

Anyway, I just found out I am pregnant! OMG. Totally a shocker, as this was just the first month that I tried OPK, and truly only to learn when I ovulate.

Now, of course, I'm even more worried about picking up the pace. Yesterday I walked on the treadmill for an hour. I guess I should just keep walking until I have my first doc appt on Sept 24th?

11 years ago

Congrats!!!

Now pass some of those vibes on to me!! lol

I would say talk to your doctor, but as a general rule, exercise is good so long as you listen to your body and don't over-exert yourself or let your body get too warm.

Good luck and congrats again!

Hello all! I know this thread is very old but thought I would add my 2 cents.

My midwife says it's okay for your body temperature to increase as long as it doesn't go above 104. If you are worried, take a thermometer with you on your run or take your temperature right after you're finished.

Although we feel hot when we exercise, our body is cooling itself down. the body's sweating mechanism is designed to keep our internal body temperature at a constant rate. You might feel like your temp has risen, but check with a thermometer and you will be pleasantly surprised! To help ensure your sweating mechanism is working, be sure you are well hydrated!

(I do Bikram yoga, which is yoga in a room heated to 100-104 degrees. I take my temp during and after yoga and it's never higher than 99.4 degrees and it goes back down right after class. My midwife says it's fine - so please if you are an anti-Bikram or anti-midwife person I really don't need any lectures - believe me I have heard them ALL.)

User Image

11 years ago

Thanks! That is good advice!

Last page

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo