Community post

Question

Does bbt drop then rise after ovulation?

Sorry for sounding dumb but I’m new to charting and I think I’ve read so much stuff I’m confused, I had ewcm and a positive opk but then the next day I had a temp drop, I was a bit upset thinking I’d be fooled because all over opks have been negative but today I had a good temp rise so does this mean it’s possible I ovulated? I’ll try post a photo of my chart, any help would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

user submitted image

img]https://www.countdowntopregnancy.com/tickers/testing-1594339200z7z13zz0.png[/img]

5 Answers • 3 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 5 of 5 Answers

U don't sound dumb at all...we were all new to this at one point.
That's called a fallback rise. It's fairly common and happens in the 2-4dpo range. Basically, it's a secondary estrogen surge. Estrogen is known as the "cool hormone", so it drops ur bbt a bit (as seen by the dip), it's also the primary hormone involved with fertile mucus. Progesterone is known as the "warm hormone" which is released after O, it causes bbt to rise and cm to change to an infertile state. They can sometimes take a few days to get balanced. It's a bit confusing at first, but u'll get used to all the little dips and rises.
I will say, once O is confirmed, don’t analyze temps any further. U will drive urself crazy trying to figure them out, and really, they tell u nothing more than u O'd. Dips in the middle of a cycle are normal, and don't mean there's an implantation/pregnancy, neither do skyrocketing temps or another rise (triphasic). Temps confirm ovulation and can possibly indicate AF on the way...even then, she can still arrive with a high bbt, so it's not a guaranty. I would temp to get ur confirmation of O then put the thermometer away til ur next cycle, if there is one. Less stress for u and potential baby. Everyone has their own way of doing things tho, u'll find urs.
Chart looks good! Good luck! =))

3 years ago

@Dakota. Thank you for explaining this in further detail as I had no idea about that as I Googled all the time about temps and what they could mean.

User image[/url]

3 years ago

Thank you so much you’re so informative about all this. I feel a little bit more clued up about my chart now, definitely will resist further temping. I’ll have to resist testing too early too haha. Seriously though thank you so much for explaining it properly. It’s appreciated greatly.

img]https://www.countdowntopregnancy.com/tickers/testing-1594339200z7z13zz0.png[/img]

3 years ago • Post starter

Yvw, ladies.

I can’t help ya with the testing, I start at 8dpo...it's definitely not worth doing it before that tho. I'm 3dpo as well, so feel free to msg me if u need me to talk u off the early testing ledge...til about 8dpo, then I'm more or less an enabler

3 years ago • Edited

Haha aw it’s nice going through the TWW with someone, I’ll wait until 8dpo too I’ve been tricked a lot thinking all the pains, niggles, pulling and pinching was a good sign only to find out through recent reading that progesterone does that too. Good luck I hope you get your bfp

3 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo