Community post

Discussion

Conception with one fallopian tube.

Hi all, I have only 1 fallopian tube after an EP. I am 30yrs old and was wondering if you could help me understand what my chances of conception actually are. Are they good or bad or will it even be possible to get pregnant. I am on month 2 of ttc.
Thanks very much x

9 Replies • 3 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 9 of 9 Replies

First, I’m so very sorry about your ectopic, that’s horrible to go through! What did your doctor say about your chances?

3 years ago

If there are no other issues other than only having one fallopian tube, your chances would be about half of what they were before the other tube was removed - this is because the ovaries generally take turns ovulating, so you will only ovulate from your "good" side every other month. That being said - soooooo many women go on to conceive with only one tube - my Mum has a severely damaged tube from an ectopic but conceived several healthy babies after, even though that one tube was likely useless. Very sorry for your loss and the trauma of it being ectopic, and I hope you're doind alright with it all. It can take months for perfectly healthy people with both tubes to conceive (my DH and I are on cycle 4 or 5 and had a chemical last month) so try not to stress about it. Easier said than done I know, but stress can really foul up allllll the hormones! Adrenal support can help with stress and thereby help regulate hormones, fwiw!

3 years ago

I'd say u have pretty decent odds. There's something called "transmigration of the ovum after salpingectomy", which is what u had done. It’s when u ovulate from the ovary on the tubeless side, the egg travels across the abdomen and into the other tube. There are many documented cases of women conceiving with the corpus luteum (leftover cyst after ovulation) being on the side w/o the tube. I believe there are a few women on here who have had this happen (we're going back a few years tho, so they may not be active on here anymore). I definitely wouldn't count urself out...ur odds should be damn close to those with 2 tubes.
Best of luck! =))

3 years ago

@dakota that is fascinating! And totally not what I've ever heard from doctors! Crazy, why don't they all know the same stuff? That could explain why my Mum had so little trouble even with a dodgy tube. Thanks for sharing!

3 years ago

Hi there! Dakota couldn’t have explain it better.
I have also chances only from one tube since my right side one is blocked so I’ve done some research in the past. Even though you’re more likely to ovulate from your good side every other month, this is not always the case. You could as well ovulate several times from one side (Happened to me before) and there’s no one that could tell you which side. It is just more common to alternate sides.
With that said the chances for the egg to travel to the other side is about 20% according to my doctor.
If you don’t have any other fertility issues I would say that you’ll be having your baby pretty soon!!

User image

3 years ago

Thanks everyone, my Dr said nothing to me about it but maybe I should ask. I m on cycle 3 and I got pregnant straight away before so I am finding this hard x

3 years ago • Post starter

Thanks for your replies x

3 years ago • Post starter

I got pregnant three cycles after my salpingectomy. It can definitely happen and all else aside, it really doesn't lower your odds too much. My doctor's weren't very much help in easing my worries though. I did a lot of online research by myself. Best wishes!

3 years ago

I got pregnant this month with only one tube. It was my second cycle after having my tube removed in February when my right tube ruptured from an ectopic. Definitely possible. My doctor also mentioned how though chances are left it is still possible to get pregnant when you ovulate on your tubeless side. Best of luck!

3 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo