Community post

Question

Can anyone help me understand more about triploidy and partial molar pregnacy?

I just miscarried (for the second time in a row) and the chromosome tests done on the tissue of the pregnancy came back showing triploidy (baby had a third set of chromosome). My midwife said triploidy is associated with partial molar pregnancies sometimes so they want to make sure my Hcg goes down to 0 soon which makes sense but she also said I shouldn't try to get pregnant again for 6 months which I am having a hard time understanding. If there is a partial molar pregnancy, I understand why they recommend that but if my hormone level goes down to 0 quickly, wouldn't that mean there is no molar pregnancy in my case? And if so, why would I need to wait 6 months? If anyone has any insights, please share. Nothing I've read online has been helpful. It all seems very confusing. From what I understand so far, partial molar pregnancies are always caused by triploidy but triploidy doesn't always result in partial molar pregnancy. Since the lab analysed the placenta, wouldn't they be able to tell if there was a partial molar pregnancy?

5 Answers • 4 years ago • Edited

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 5 of 5 Answers

Hi agatch - so sorry you are going through this. I didn't know anything about molar pregnancies so i looked it up and found this article to be the most informative. I hope you can continue to be monitored and get the "all-clear" sooner than the midwife thinks. https://www.avawomen.com/avaworld/molar-pregnancy-2/

4 years ago

Thanks Lissa!

4 years ago • Edited • Post starter

I also read this article...

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/molar-pregnancy/

xxx

User image

4 years ago

Thanks Scuba! It seems like my Hcg levels is only about 10 right now so it went down really fast which is a good sign but I still need to figure out when it would be safe to start trying again. I still don't really understand everything despite all the articles and studies I've read:
I know in my case, the risk was a partial molar (not a molar) which is an issue in case of triploidy of paternal origin only but it seems like the tests I've done haven't determined the origin of the triploidy in our case and statistically, it is more likely to be of paternal origin. In case of triploidy of paternal origin, the cause is either one egg fertilized by one sperm with 2 sets of chromosomes or 1 egg fertilized by 2 sperms. It sounds like the second case is the most common of the 2 and is the one thing that leads to partial molar pregnancies. I can't figure out if every triploidy of paternal origin caused by 2 sperms fertilizing the egg leads to partial hydatiform mole (partial molar pregancy) or not though. Also, I'm curious about what would cause the failure of the mechanism that usually prevents 2 sperms from fertilizing one egg. The way I understand it now is that there isn't really a way for me to know the origin of the triploidy and there isn't really a way to know if I had a partial molar pregnancy but if I did there is a risk that Hcg would start to go up again because some cells from that pregnancy could still be in the uterus and start to multiply, therefore, the safest path is to wait 6 months to monitor my Hcg and make sure it doesn't go up again. I'm just writing all this because I'm thinking it may help someone in the future who might be in the same situation.

4 years ago • Post starter

Hi my friend. I am so sorry to read this. I hope you are well.

Did you have to wait 6 months to TTC again?

4 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo