Community post

Information

What HSG feels like

Just wanted to post for those frantically googling to find out what HSG is like. I had mine today on CD 10 and it wasn't as bad as what i had read online. I have had two IUD insertions and removals and i can say if you have ever had one of those, then the feeling (pain and cramping) is very similar. It was over in less than 2 minutes. I have heard tho that it can be worse if your tubes are blocked (mine were open). I didn't even feel the dye going in. The only thing i felt was intense cramping when the catheter was inserted and it felt very similar to the IUD insertion. I did take 800 mg of ibuprofen one hour before the procedure (they didn't offer any type of anesthetic or pain medication). After the catheter was removed i didn't have any residual pain or cramping and went straight back to work. Also, FYI i did not have to remove my belly button piercing. Good luck on your TTC journey and please try not to worry too much about the HSG if you have to have one. It's really not that bad!

6 Comments • 4 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

Comments (sorted by likes)

1 - 6 of 6 Comments

Ugh I'm glad yours was easier. Mine was awful and lasted much longer because my right tube spasmed closed. Most likely due to how badly I was cramping. It didn't hurt as badly on my left side, but they tried my right twice. Definitely worth it though, they found a polyp that I had removed.

4 years ago

I’ll have to agree with Kate! Maybe it was due to the fact that I also had my right tube blocked but also for me the experience was horrible! I have a great tolerance in pain but this time I was almost about to scream. Very uncomfortable for the rest of the day too!

User image

4 years ago

Wow i must be one of the lucky ones! I didn't have any blockages or anything abnormal so maybe that's why mine was so easy. I did feel a little bloated throughout the rest of the day and a tiny bit of cramps, but nothing worse than a light period. I don't think i have a very high tolerance for pain so i think mine was just uncomplicated. I do hope what i've been reading about HSG increasing fertility is true -- time will tell!

4 years ago • Post starter

It's different for everyone how the HSG goes, due to a lot of factors. One or both tubes blocked is one factor, another may be how sensitive to pain you are and so on. I did an HSG about 7 years ago and I had no blockage in my tubes. It was a walk in the park compared to when I got my IUD removed a little over 2 years ago. The IUD had moved upwards and it had partly started to attach itself to my uterus and the doctor was barely able to remove it without having to sedate me. So me personally, I would to a hundred HSG instead of removing one IUD again. And others feel the opposite.

User image

4 years ago

My IUD removals were a walk in the park. I had one removed 3 years ago which came out easily and immediately tried to insert a new one which was a living hell. I had to go home and heal for a few days after the first removal to have the second one inserted with ultrasound guidance. The second removal last fall was easy. I guess it really does depend on each unique situation. I'm just glad the HSG is done and hope i never have to go through it again, even tho it was fairly simple.

4 years ago • Post starter

@lissa I felt bloated for the rest of the day too. As soon as my body calmed down and stopped cramping I was fine, but oh man I was sweating during it.

4 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo