Community post

Question

BFP after “AF”? ***UPDATE: Saw heartbeat!!***

***UPDATE***
Just wanted to update this post in case anyone going through something similar needs some peace of mind-
After two days of AF-type bleeding, I saw the doctor the second day of getting a very faint positive pregnancy test. She sent me for quantitative HCG which came back at 49- so I was feeling discouraged. 2 days later it was 133. 3 days later it was 679!! Just had my first ultrasound and got to see our little bean’s heartbeat. Still feels unbelievable. The doc says I had literally *just* gotten pregnant when I came in with that faint test. So, yea- even though I had what seemed to be an early period, I am pregnant!! (Also, FYI, I never had any implantation bleeding or spotting or ANYTHING with my first, so just goes to show every pregnancy is different!)

———————————————————————

So...
My mind is already wrapped up in worst-case scenarios and I guess I’m looking for people who have experienced this.

I’m a POAS addict. So I took my first HPT at 8dpo. BFN. Took one again 9 dpo. BFN. That afternoon, started getting some teeny tiny brown spotting. Since it was a bit early for AF, I was hoping the spotting would stop quickly and be a sign of IB.
The next day, it was bright red and much heavier/more like a normal AF, so I figured that’s what it was. FYI, I’m still BFing (though not exclusively) my 10 month old, so sometimes my cycles are kinda wacky, and I just figured my LP was short because of hormones related to BFing. Flow continued pretty “normal” second day, but today it had completely stopped (not even spotting anymore).

Been feeling weird and I don’t know why but I just decided to take another HPT after dinner tonight ... and the second line showed up right away. Granted, it’s faint, but it’s there (don’t have to squint to see it) and it’s pink.

I’ve had chemical pregnancies in the past, prior to getting pregnant with DS, but in that instance I got the faint line FIRST and bleeding occurred a day or two after. This is the opposite. (I’m also aware that the hormone can stay in your body several days, but in miscarriages I’ve had in the past, HCG has always steadily decreased after bleeding started. And in this case, it obviously increased since the HPT wasn’t positive until after bleeding stopped)

I also read somewhere this could be indicative of an ectopic.. which of course can be life threatening... so I obviously hope that’s not the case.

And I know since we haven’t totally weaned DS from BFing, my hormones are kinda all over the place..

Just looking for anyone else who has experienced something similar. Did this result in a healthy pregnancy for anyone??

I do plan to test again in the morning. It took us 2 years to get pregnant with our son, so if this is a healthy pregnancy we would be over the moon- trying to stay positive... just trying not to get our hopes up too soon, I guess.

Thanks!

10 Answers • 5 years ago • Edited

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 10 of 10 Answers

I’ve had it happen and unfortunately it didn’t go well. I had an early loss. I was about 5 weeks when I lost it. I had full “af” 4-5 days and was still feeling off and tested came up positive right away. Had levels checked and they were low. Never got very high and started declining shortly after. I hope that’s not the case for you.

User image

5 years ago

I was the same situation as above. I got my BFP at 8dpo until 16dpo despite heavy bleeding the whole time, my HCG beta was high but VERY quickly fell and at 16dpo I miscarried.

User image EBF 10 months!

5 years ago

I’m so sorry to hear about both of your losses. Thank you for your responses. I think it’s probably not going to be the outcome I hope for. Test is still a light positive this morning, but having some spotting again this morning as well.

5 years ago • Post starter

Hoping for the best for you and that you're one of the lucky ones who has a "period" while having a viable pregnancy. I don't have a positive story, either, unfortunately, but I wanted to share as you mentioned, ectopic pregnancies can be life-threatening. I had the same exact thing happen to me in January. Because of prior miscarriages, my doctor monitored my HCG which doubled appropriately for three consecutive tests. She actually was going to stop testing, but I asked for one more blood test because I was pretty uncomfortable (not in pain, but really bloated and gassy and it didn't feel like my prior successful pregnancy) and also nervous given the initial period-like bleeding. The next test showed that my levels did not continue to double. I went in for an ultrasound and it showed an ectopic pregnancy which had started to rupture. I had emergency surgery and lost my left tube. Really hope to not scare you but I did want to make sure you were on the look out for any concerning symptoms. Note that I never has any pain, but felt like I had an upset stomach, was gassy/bloaty, and my pants weren't fitting. Good luck to you!

5 years ago

I had a CP last cycle exactly like yours. . Not a happy ending either.
Knew I was pregnant, started light spotting 12 DPO, 3 days before AF due...BFN 12 DPO, 13 DPO, BFP 14DPO.
I continued to bleed and spot very intermittent for 6 solid days. Still got faint positive till 18 DPO. Super upsetting but since I did bleed, I started OPKs immediately and had a strong peak. Now 7 DPO and praying for am earlier implantation this time. Late implantation increases risk of early loss to 86%. And late implantation is considered anything 12 DPO onward. 9 DPO is the "average".

5 years ago

@thelastmelon: I’m so sorry for your loss last cycle. It’s so difficult to get hopes up and then face a loss-even an early one. I didn’t know that about late implantation, but it makes sense as there’s less time for HCG levels to rise before the body starts trying to shed the lining...

@Cgml123: Thank you for your story- ectopic is one thing I’m concerned about, so I appreciate your candor. I’m sorry you had to go through that and ended up having emergency surgery. I’m glad you asked for another Beta and caught it, though.

I saw the doc today and test was positive there, too (so at least I know I’m not going totally crazy). They tested my quantitative HCG and progesterone today, and will do the same Saturday.
Since I’ve had more miscarriages than successful pregnancies, I’m not feeling too confident, but we should know more soon.

Thank you, again, for everyone’s input.

Any updates?

User image

5 years ago

Quick update:

Line on HPTs is continuing to get darker-Had two blood draws and HCG levels are doubling appropriately. The doctor said we are just very early in the pregnancy, so they are having me continue blood draws this week and will schedule an ultrasound based on where those numbers fall.
So, yea- I’m pregnant!

I’m still kind of anxious to rule out an ectopic, but the good news is I haven’t had any spotting at all since Friday.
I’ll update after draws this week. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!
Thank you all for your support!!

Good luck! Keep us posted!

User image

5 years ago

That's great news! I hope it all goes well!

5 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo