Community post

Question

Honest opinions on slow FRER progressions (14-18dpo with pic)

Hi ladies. Thanks in advance for reading. I am wondering why many people say “a line is a line” when that just doesn’t seem to be true. Having had many chemical pregnancies myself, and searched many progression photos online, it really does seem like faint lines at certain DPOs (assuming you know your dates) or slow/stalled progressions in FRERs mean a high % of miscarriage. I appreciate how supportive the TTC community can be, but on the other hand I think sometimes we give each other false hope. I am feeling pessimistic about my line progression. I know people will say “put down the tests, stop peeing on things, get a beta” etc. but sometimes it’s really hard. I don’t have a doctor appt. for another 5 days so I am just waiting and kind of obsessing and wishing I knew what would happen. If anyone has honest experienced opinions on this progression (or can read the future! ha) I would really appreciate comments to keep myself sane. THANK YOU for reading this long post!!!

user submitted image

21 Answers • 5 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

Answers (sorted by laughs)

1 - 10 of 21 Answers | Last Page

The 18dpo test switched to having the test line darker than the control line in just those two days. I wouldn't worry just yet! But yes, put down the urine tests and go get a beta Good luck!

5 years ago

I'm with kait.
I've had a chemical and my lines never ever progressed. Your line is darker than the control, in two days! I think that's good

5 years ago

I find these forums helpful and appreciate all of the positive support. It's great to have people to talk to when your TTC (because so many of us keep the emotions bottled up inside) but we are not medical professionals and can only give our opinions based on experience. I had a chemical last month and my lines were never that dark. I think if someone on here had said, oh your lines aren't that dark it's probably a chemical -- i would have been hurt and dismissed them. I think you are fine but of course only your doctor can tell you for sure. I know the wait is painful and i hope the time goes by quickly for you! Good luck and keep us posted!

5 years ago

I understand your hesitation as I am an obsessive tester as well. I think those lines look great AND at 18 DPO the test line is darker than the control. I had the BETA tests and was still nervous. Had an ultrasound last Thursday at 6 weeks 4 days and everything looked great, with a heart beat and, although I feel much better, I am still nervous! I had a Blighted Ovum back in January 2015 so I'm always a hot mess. I had a successful pregnancy after conceiving again in March 2015 but I was still nervous with that one until about 18 weeks. You're not alone girl and those lines looks great! I know it easier said than done, but try and relax, stop testing and go get that BETA.

Colton "Casually" TTC #2 Go Bills!

5 years ago

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it and yes lissa645 you are right that the positive support is a good thing. We are lucky to have so many supportive women. I guess I wasn’t necessarily thinking about a chemical but maybe a miscarriage in general, based on studies like this https://healdove.com/reproductive-health/16dpo where for example the hcg level at 16dpo is a relatively good predictor of a viable pregnancy. I am torn as to whether FRERs are reliable enough to show hcg levels - I know a blood test is obviously way better but there does seem to be some correlation between line darkness and hcg levels. But then again maybe not. I am driving myself nuts just trying to be patient. Thanks again I will update this thread to let people know what happens.

5 years ago • Post starter

Ok, I'll forewarn u now, I'm not the hand-holding type. I won't blow smoke up ur ass or tell u what u wanna hear so u can live in a bubble. MalPal knows, I can be harsh at times (with no ill intent, of course). That said, I think ur tests look fine, as far as urine tests go. I wouldn't hold much stock in lines correlating with levels tho, way too much can alter the results. Even the same brand and batch of tests can show very different results with the same sample. Hpts aren't made for progression testing, even tho we're ALL guilty of it.
If it helps, I had great progression on my tests a cpl years back, lost it at 7wks. With my daughter, my test line wasn't darker than the control, on my FRER, til 21dpo...I never saw a 3+ on a CB w/wks (and I tested up til 28dpo). Levels at that point were 6,821. She's 4.

The 7wk loss example isn't meant to discourage u, just to show u that even the best progressions mean nothing if there's something wrong with the baby. Ur body will do what it's built to do, don't fault it for that. It's terrible to say, but I would much rather suffer the loss of a pregnancy that isn't "right", than to bury a small human. Those caskets are mighty heavy!!

Stay positive and enjoy every day as it comes. Don't live like u've received bad news until u receive bad news. Ur gonna miss out on all the great stuff!

Congrats! =))

5 years ago

Thank you so much. “Ur body will do what it's built to do” is actually very helpful and important to remember, so thanks in particular for that. You are so right.

These tests are qualitative not quantitative. That's why a line is a line.
I tested daily for 6 weeks and my lines were always, always super faint and fluctuating. I never ever had my hcg levels tested because they only test here in active miscarriage. My daughter is now 11 months, hassle free pregnancy and never got more than a faint line.
A line is a line xx

5 years ago

Thanks again to everyone who responded. I promised I would update this thread in case someone is in a similar situation someday and finds themself reading this. Here is another photo with 2 more tests added showing a steady but slow progression. I am done taking tests, going to the doctor today. I will come back to update when I know more. Again thank you.

user submitted image

Hope all you hear is good news!!!

5 years ago

Last page

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo