Community post

Information

ALL BOUT CERVIX LEARNING THE STAGES :)

The position and texture of your cervix will change during your cycle:

During menstrual bleeding, the cervix is normally low and hard and slightly open to allow the blood to flow out. It feels like the tip of your nose.

After your period stops, the cervix remains low and hard and the opening to the uterus (uterine os) remains closed.

As you approach ovulation, the cervix rises up to the top of the vagina and becomes softer and moister.
At the height of ovulation, the cervix feels more like your lips than your nose and the uterine os is open to allow sperm to enter in. Sometimes the cervix seems to disappear – which just means it has become so soft that it blends in with the vagina walls and rises so high that the finger cannot touch it. This is known as SHOW - soft, high, open and wet. This is your most fertile time and is the optimal time to have sex to achieve pregnancy.

Once ovulation occurs, the cervix drops lower and becomes more firm - once again feeling like the tip of your nose. The opening to the uterus will become tightly closed. This can happen immediately after ovulation or may take several hours to several days.

**When pregnancy occurs, the cervix will rise up and become soft, yet the os will remain tightly closed. This occurs at different times for different women – as early as 12 days after ovulation or well after the pregnancy has been confirmed by a home pregnancy test or doctor.**

User image

4 Comments • 5 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Comments

This was very informative! Thank you! I have a silly question though. I've tried tracking my cervix throughout my cycles off and on for the past year. After 4 years of TTC we did out first IUI 10 days ago. Well my period is due in 4-5 days so I've been checking. Typically by this point it drops low and stays low. But oddly it's moving up and down constantly! That's never happened before. In the morning it will be really low, then later that day it will be so high I can barely reach it. But it's hard like the tip of my nose. Why isn't is staying low like it always does?

5 years ago

Hello meshagla, It's not a silly question at all, The cervix does move Alot through out the day & it's not a good indicator to go off. But I do the same thing every day checking my cervix. It sounds like your either bout to start Af. I'm not sure why it moves so much through out the day, but i can tell ya it was doing it before your IUI too. You probably just didn't notice it, like you do now. Your cervix can be high or low just before Af or even getting a BFP on test. Last month my cervix was so high & I just knew it was a good sign of pregnancy BAM af showed up so I'm learning not to just go on my cervix anymore. I still check it to know it every cycle tho. :)

Thank you & best of luck xo

User image

5 years ago • Edited • Post starter

I have a question. I'm 6dpo and went through insemination on the day of ovulation. Nothing has been as usual this cycle. I am usually really crabby, like pms, for three days, from 9 to day 6 before my period, and I wasn't. I've been in such a calm and happy mood. And even though my period could datewise come any day now, my cervix is so high I can just barely reach it, and it is as soft as during ovulation, only firmly closed, and I'm usually dry at this point in the cycle, and I am anything but right now. Could I be pregnant?

5 years ago

@alexis13th - those sound like good signs to me...did you get your BFP?

5 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo