Community post

Question

Tracking ovulation with irregular cycles

Alright ladies I need some advice from those with irregular cycles.
My cycles are incredibly irregular. Sometimes I have a cycle that is 35 days other times i have a cycle that is 90+ days. I am tracking my BBT and even during my last 90 day cycle I ovulated. I happened to use an OPK during that time and it came up positive.
So my question is: how do you time your OPK if you're not sure when you could ovulate? Because I'm never sure how long my cycle is going to be, I cant accurately time my OPK unless my BBT drops. So how do you use tests in conjunction? Do you simply test every day? Do you wait?

Thank you!

5 Answers • 5 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 5 of 5 Answers

Do you track your CM? I don't have irregular cycles anymore, but I usually time starting testing with opks based on the day my discharge changes from sticky to creamy. Would that work for you?

Also I know you're not asking for advice, but I thought I would mention this. My doctor had me start taking inosital 2g a day starting in June and my cycles became regular for the first time in my whole life the very next cycle. Like clock work, my period was shorter, I started ovulating on cd 17 and AF on day 31. It is advertised for people with PCOS, which I do not have. It just helped with ovulatatory function for me. I also got pregnant in September so I credit that to the regular cycles.

5 years ago

@LadyMae I try to track CM but it typically doesn't change much. Usually before and after my period it stays between creamy and sticky. If I get close to ovulation it sometimes is watery, egg white, or dry consistency. And it isnt always the same cycle to cycle. So I have tried, but it isnt always accurate for me. I have recently been trying to track cervical position but unless I do it the exact same time every day it changes and may not be accurate. So right now it seems like the only options I see are OPK and BBT. But I'm not sure.

I've never heard of it! I'll have to look into it. How long did it take for your cycles to regulate?

5 years ago • Post starter

I also have irregular cycles, anything from 29 to 50+ days. I did two things which have greatly brought my cycles into control. I started taking Vitex as a daily supplement and I started regular acupuncture every two weeks. That's brought them into a more reasonable 29 to 35 day range, with each cycle getting a bit shorter than the last, and it took 1 to 2 cycles.

For finding ovulation I use the clear blue advanced digital, because my Lh surges are very faint and it's good to have that baseline comparison. I get the one with the most test strips (the 20 pack) and start testing according to the directions, which is dependent on when your earliest ovulation was that you know of. Then you test every damn day until you start to get high fertility days, and then finally peak fertility right before ovulation. If you are having crazy long cycles it might be expensive since you might go through more than one pack before you hit ovulation. But I found that really took a big weight off of my mind to see those high fertility days and know that ovulation was coming soon so that we could time things right. And then of course bbt to confirm ovulation after the fact.

5 years ago

I tried Accupunture too! It just didn't do anything for me

I started the inosital during my period. It immediately made AF shorter and I ovulated on cd 17 that same cycle and then AF on day 31. The next month followed the same pattern and the next and the next. So for me, it worked right away. It may vary depending on when it is started.

5 years ago

I took vitex last cycle actually! And I'm concerned it made my cycle 90 days. Because for the last couple of months my cycles were 35-48 days. They didn't vary a whole lot and then this last one was off. So this cycle I'm not taking anything to see if I still ovulate. Because as long as I'm ovulating I dont care if it takes longer to track. But if I dont then I'll probably try everything natural possible.

5 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo