Community post

Question

Breastfeeding and ttc

My little one is 18 months and we have been ttc since my cycles started back at the beginning of January, I’ve been tracking my cycles which are irregular and dtd pretty much whenever we want but make a point of doing it over my ovulation period, but nothing is happening, I’m currently 12dpo and got a negative frer this morning so I know I’m out again this cycle, it’s driving me insane, we have other children and never had any issues ttc before so my question is can the breastfeeding be the problem ? I was under the impression if I’m having cycles and ovulating then I should be able to conceive but it’s not working, anyone else struggling to conceive whilst breastfeeding?? X

8 Answers • 5 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 8 of 8 Answers

Yes it could be! BF can mess with your luteal phase among other things. I was surprised I conceived this time because my cycles were still off so it’s possible that your hormones are just out of whack. In fact, had we not conceived I was going to look into something to help normalize it while ttc (vitex?) to see if that’d help. How often are you nursing? I struggle if they do nighttime feedings or start nursing more in general but otherwise I’ve never ttc so close together so I couldn’t really tell you if it was ever an issue or not, I can only tell that my cycles were a little screwy. After my third, I would help jumpstart my cycle by cutting back nursing a bit but I don’t know if that will help conceive or not, you may need some other help or to quit nursing altogether Hopefully someone will have more insight for you!

5 years ago

He still feeds on demand but can be upto 6/7 times still in a 24 hour period, I’m still yet to have a whole night of sleep with him

5 years ago • Post starter

I my self am still breastfeeding my 18 month old son who is very demanding like a newborn still and yes it can affect fertility as it's the best form of contraception called lambing but I am proof that it can happen as I found out 4 days ago that I'm pregnant not sure how far yet but my tests are blearing I actually stopped tracking for a couple of months and stopped stressing about it and it seemed to do the job for us so I'm sure stressing is a major factor of not getting a bfp .....fingers crossed for you Hun ..x

Lindsey Sidaway

5 years ago

My cycle too, has been whacky. I'm still breastfeeding my 15 month old. I had a 45 day cycle the cycle before last and just got my and i'm 5 weeks. I thought for sure I wasn't going to get pregnant on our first cycle trying and especially because my cycle before was so long I wasn't sure if I even O'd when I was supposed to. It will happen! Don't worry

5 years ago

Yeah, that could be definitely affecting it. My 19 month old was such a good sleeper which is why I had gotten my PP cycle back at 9 months rather than my typical 14 months (And conceived 12 months PP) Then she started waking up at night again but knock on wood, she’s been sleeping again the last few weeks so I’m hoping it stays that way cause I’m due in 6 weeks. I’m going to attempt tandem nursing but I don’t think I can handle both waking in the middle of the night to nurse lol. This will be a challenge. Hope you catch the egg soon!

5 years ago

Nursing can affect fertility but lack of sleep does too (I would think more so than nursing). I got pregnant with my second when I was still nursing (on my 2nd cycle PP) but at that point I wasn't nursing my 12 mo old through the night any more and was somewhat rested. After #2 was born, my cycles didn't even start again until 16 months PP when my son started sleeping through the night. And I don't think I could have conceived right away even if we had tried. I felt so drained from the 16 mo of sleep deprivation that I don't think my body was ready. Now a year later I feel much better and TTC again. I'd say listen to your body and I also agree that stress is a big factor in preventing a BFP (got my 1st BFP on the cycle I had pretty much stopped tracking because DH was away on a trip during my O days so I thought it wasn't going to happen that month. We had been trying for 8 months)

5 years ago

Thank you all, I’m a little confused by this test, what do you think ? X

user submitted image

5 years ago • Post starter

I am currently nursing a 14 month old and ttc baby #3. Its been rough as we never had to try with the first two. My cycles are now irregular and I still feel ovulation pains. I hope it happens for us soon! I was able to remove night feeds two weeks ago (before fertile period), but she will nurse on demand throughout the weekend.

5 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo