Community post

Question

Can a mental block cause misscarriage ?

Hey everyone,

Can miscarriage happen because of bad thoughts?

When I was a child my mother blamed me for her miscarriage, from that moment I have always felt I could never have children. That was 10 years ago.
I started TTC in March and got pregnant on the second try but miscarried at 7 weeks. I feel this is my fault because I never really believed I was going to have a baby (even if it was very much desired).

Am I responsible for this ? Is possible to just feel if you are infertile ?

5 Answers • 5 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 5 of 5 Answers

Oh sweetie, no, you didn't cause your mom's miscarriage or yours. A lot of us moms who suffer a loss blame ourselves, but in reality there is nothing we could have done. We miscarry because the embryo just wasn't strong enough to make it for whatever reason. Please please don't blame yourself. I am so sorry for your loss.

5 years ago

about 25% of all pregnancies result in miscarriage. It isn't something that you cause it is just something that happens. It is incredibly common but people don't really talk about it. You didn't cause your mothers or your own. Just as anyone suffering from infertility didn't do anything to cause that. It is just something that happens. I am sorry about your loss, I hope that you can see this isn't your fault and that you did nothing as a child to cause your mothers miscarriage.

5 years ago

I am sorry you have been carrying around unnecessary guilt for 10 years. No you couldn’t have caused your mom’s miscarriage and or your own. I also deal with negative thoughts and have a diagnosis of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. It makes doing small things like walking around the block to the store scary. After trying for 2 years with my ex and having no success (possible chemicals and a confirmed early loss around 5 weeks) we broke up, and I was convinced everything was my fault. With my husband we’ve just made it to 31 weeks with our second daughter. I had negative thoughts all while ttc—this will never happen, there’s something wrong with me, it’s my anxiety that’s keeping me from getting pregnant. But it happened for us. I’ve had several big scares in both pregnancies and a 36 week preemie who was 3 pounds 14 ounces and in the NICU for 3 weeks. What has helped me this time is going to a therapist and talking about my negative thoughts. He says they’re just thoughts. He and my OB say that stress is not good for me or the baby, and I agree. But the reasons for early miscarriage are usually some sort of abnormality in the embryo that we have no control over. Also I found out my progesterone was low this time after bleeding for the first 6 weeks and got on supplements that helped. So I completely understand why you would have those thoughts, but you did not cause either miscarriage with your thoughts. If you feel like talking to a therapist about it I would really recommend it. It has made such a difference for me. Hugs

5 years ago

No it's definitely not your fault. I had a miscarriage a couple years ago, it's so common but a lot of people don't talk about it!

5 years ago

Thank you all for your answers !
I can't really talk about that in real life so this is really helping.

I try to keep hopping I will have a big familly but it's hard.

Thanks !!

5 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo