Community post

Question

Low progesterone or no ovulation?

My charts showed a clear ovulation date on both this site and FF, and when I had my progesterone checked on cycle day 21 (which was 4dpo) it was 6.9.

My doctor (ob-gyn) told me I didn't ovulate this month, that it needed to be a 10. I asked him to retest in a few days since my ovulation date is later than the "textbook" day 14. Well, I just got my result back and now it is 5.6.

At my request he had put me on a progesterone supplement at the same time as the second test just in case but does this really mean I didn't ovulate? My cycles are very regular at 31 days.

I plan to continue the progesterone this month because I already had an early miscarriage a few months ago and I have a feeling it was from low progesterone. Last month it tested at 9.2 and my period was on schedule.

Any input would be very appreciated. I track cervical mucous (which was plentiful/ normal this month) as well as bbt. I find opk frustrating so didn't use this month.

UPDATE   Blood hcg levels at 12 dpo was 43 and progesterone went up to 55! I'm so excited right now!

Update 2: had hcg levels redrawn at 17 dpo and now it is at 465!

11 Answers • 5 years ago • Edited

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 10 of 11 Answers | Last Page

It doesn't mean you didn't ovulate imo, it just means you have a progesterone deficiency. 10 is the number they like to see for an unmedicated cycle. Now a 2 would mean you likely didn't ovulate. I had to be on progesterone for one of my pregnancies because it was only a 5 something. That turned out to be a blighted ovum but i obviously ovulated. And yes, breastfeeding can delay ovulation. Did you need progesterone for your last pregnancy? If not, this probably isn't something that is a long term problem. Do you know how long your lp usually is?

5 years ago

My lp this year has been about 11 or 12 days. No, my last pregnancy I did not need progesterone.

5 years ago • Post starter

If your lp is that long, that suggests a healthy progesterone level. It could just be that you developed a cyst when the egg popped out. That happened to my best friend. She got her bfp and was on progesterone until 10 weeks. She didn't need the progesterone for her following pregnancies.

5 years ago

If your progesterone level was 6, then you ovulated. Your doctor clearly needs to review his labs.

The only thing God gives you for certain is a CHOICE.

5 years ago

That is good to know because I feel sure I ovulated. Here is my chart as a reference up to 4dpo. I stopped temping after that to reduce stress...lol.

user submitted image

5 years ago • Edited • Post starter

Yes there's no doubt that you did! Thats a good looking chart!

5 years ago

Just checked this morning 12 dpo. Positive???

user submitted image

Thats positive! Congrats!!

5 years ago

Thank you! Maybe my ob will believe me that I ovulated now once I go down there this morning and have my levels checked

Lol yeah, he's going to feel a little stupid huh? Good thing you demanded the progesterone!

5 years ago

Last page

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo