Community post

Discussion

First Time Pregnant: Need Advice

All, I am so very new to this. I don’t want to offend anyone or hurt any feelings, etc. I’m just going to start by saying that I was not TTC, but I am currently 4w4d pregnant. I know many of you have had a hard time TTC and have had many medical/emotional rollercoaster rides with it. I was not sure where to really start- but I need tips and advice on how to go about this journey. I am 20 years old, and I just applied for Medicaid (hopefully to supplement my BCBS insurance). I have only told my SO and very close friends (2 of them). I know I must schedule a doctors appointment, but I’m concerned about them not taking my insurance. I guess my BIG question here is: What are the expected costs (OUT OF POCKET) for medical tests and such before baby is born, and after (hopefully I’ll have my insurance right by then)? I live in NC (USA), if that helps. My income is pretty low, and I am a full time student at University (I will be withdrawing due to the pregnancy, and other things). Anyone pay Out Of Pocket for their bills? This is my first time pregnant, and I have so many financial worries. Any advice on this, or any other things are greatly appreciated!

3 Replies • 6 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

Sorry, i am in the UK so cannot answer this, as it doesn’t work like that over here. Sounds expensive to have a baby in America, we dont pay here (apart from what comes out of tax) Hopefully someone in US can answer all that for you?
Just wanted to say congrats & happy healthy 9 months xx

Ingi :)

6 years ago

Sweetie, if you are low income and have filed for pregnancy Medicaid they can give you an idea if you are going qualify, which I'm sure you will. Most Dr. Offices will allow you to see them and send you a bill. As soon as your medicaid kick's in, just have them rerun it. I didn't have it with my pregnancy and had to pay out of pocket till I reached my deductible. It can get spendy. $180 here and. $200 there. I'm pretty sure medicaid will backpay, you just need to go sit down and talk with them and then find a dr. Who will just bill you till it goes through.

Mill

6 years ago

Worst case scenario, if you are uninsured, I know in VA here, it's about $3500-$4000 total. You won't need to go in till much later, and you can probably go to a clinic for the initial bloodwork and ultrasound. Get a job. Work somewhere as long as you can, preferably somewhere you can sit down every once in a while. No one expects college students to stay in a job very long anyway, so it's not a big deal with you quit later.

When I was 20 and pregnant, I worked in a daycare till I was 8 months pregnant and lived with my parents. I saved up $5000 to pay for a midwife out of pocket and all my lab work and ultrasounds. Also, if you aren't living with your parents, go apply for food stamps and WIC. This will help you eat well and take care of yourself, and it's EXACTLY what the system was set up for. To temporarily help people in tough spots, and you qualify as soon as you're pregnant. I did all this and went back to school when my son was 18 mos old and got my degree and was off all assistance, making a good salary and in a nice place by the time he was 3 yrs old - and the dad never helped me. It can be done. Good luck!

6 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo