Community post

Question

Trying for a girl...

My husband and I are ttc baby number 4. We currently have 3 sons, and while we know that all babies are blessings, we would love a baby girl! With our sons, we were lucky enough to get pregnant very easily. This time around, we are having to work harder! Because I read that the female sperm last longer, we have been avoiding sex too close to ovulation. Basically, we have sex every other day up until I get a positive OPK. I can't help but think that maybe this is keeping me from getting pregnant, if I don't actually ovulate until a couple days later. Like maybe the sperm aren't sticking around long enough? At the same time, I'm afraid to keeping having sex until my temp rise because I'm afraid I'll squash all my hopes for a girl!! I know you can get any gender regardless of timing and it's more than likely nothing to do with science, and I would LOVE to hear stories of conceiving girls a couple days after positive OPKs, which would debunk the Shettle's method I've been reading about! Thank you!

5 Answers • 6 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 5 of 5 Answers

We are trying for #4 and I've been doing so much reading.
Our first is a boy, conceived by DTD on O day. Our second is a girl, conceived 4 days before O. So i was sure you could sway.
But, Our third is a boy who was conceived 5-6 days before O!!

Anyway, in all my obsessive reading of medical journals, studies, peer reviewed journals, etc (Im not taking anyone who isnt qualifieds articles as truth lol) timing sex for gender has pretty much been debunked.

There's a graph on here from a study that shows genders conceived by DTD each day before O. It's pretty on par.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199512073332301#t=articleBackground

<a href=

6 years ago • Edited

I have 2 boys and 2 girls and we've always had sex from before positive opk, right up til about 3dpo. Once temps confirm O, we take a much needed break.
Initially (years ago), I started off trying The Shettles Method, but gave in becuz I felt it was decreasing my chances. Whether it was or not, Idk, and never will. I just know I got my babies and they're all exactly as they were meant to be.

Best of luck! =))

6 years ago • Edited

I knew exactly what i wanted and all but one was sex i choose lol ..i had sex once on O day with first son and on the night of O day with second with first daughter i dtd 2 days before O and second daughter on O day my first boy was still born at 22weeks and i had no idea was preg let alone when i ovulated ..im trying for a girl to but because im older and ttc is harder im doing the deed every day in lead up and on the day (which was yesterday) so il know this cycle if i get a BFP if it works xx

6 years ago

It's my fifth pregnancy now and hoping for a healthy baby number three (I hope for a boy as I already have two). I don't believe much in this method you are using but what I do believe is that you are decreasing your chances by doing it. Gender is a lottery. I'd much rather get pregnant faster and with another boy, than wait for months to get pregnant and still have 50:50 chance of a girl. Kids are a blessing no matter what gender they are.

6 years ago

I used it for my last two but I think it’s horse poop...I thought it worked but even the theory behind it thinking girls have the bigger heads and and were slower was not the case. I heard that the ones he thought were the dudes were the hyperactive sperm and that’s why they swam fast and died fast so not so much truth. My last we tried before my husband went out of town (wanted a girl) but I was a few days from O, well I ended ovulated the next morning (also tried that morning) got a girl . This time it was 5 days from O so we shall see, but I feel it may be a boy. I mean, give it a shot but I think it’s still 50/50. Maybe you should look into talking to your DH about it cause really it’s his fault

6 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo