Community post

Question

Testing for pregnancy with an ovulation test?

Maybe this has been asked before but I'm curious about the theory behind testing for pregnancy using an ovulation test. I've never heard of this before. Can someone explaine?

4 Answers • 6 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Answers

Hi, well they say that opks can pick up hcg but it’s rubbish and in no way has it been proven I’ve had positive opks and not been pregnant loads of times and than a positive pregnancy test and neg opk. Because the level of the LH changes though out your cycle up and down it does not mean your pregnant so by no way is it reliable only a hpt test is. Hope this helps x

6 years ago

Thank you! I didn't make much sense to me either but I wondered if maybe everyone knew something that I didn't.

6 years ago • Post starter

An opk will eventually pick up hCG, but it really depends on the test and the levels in ur urine. The reason is, LH, FSH, TSH, and hCG are all identical, to a point. Their alpha subunits are identical, their beta subunits differ somewhat (hCG has extra amino acids). When using an opk, it looks for the units that are common between LH and hCG, whereas a hpt looks at the extra AA's. A good way to think of it is, u've got identical twins. They're exactly the same in every way, but one is wearing a hat. The opk looks for the twins, the hpt looks for the hat.

Eventually an opk will be positive when pregnant, that varies with tests, pregnancy, urine concentration and person. With baby #2 & 3 I had a positive opk the day after a vvf positive hpt. Baby #4 took almost a week from positive hpt to get a positive opk. When testing down a loss, my opk's went negative long before my hpts did. I wouldn't even bother using them, tbh. Some women will swear if u have a surge after O that ur pregnant...truth be told, most women surge in the middle of their LP and/or again at the end, anyway. It's about as reliable as the blood on a hpt BS (don't bother with that either lol). Save ur money and ur sanity, stick with the hpt.
Good luck! =))

6 years ago

Ive noticed for me personally ..when i got pregnant with dd on my period my opk was test line stronger than control from CD 14/15/16 thats what made me do hcg and sure enough i was pregnant lol ..but i also get an almost pos opk just before AF arrives ..the lh can pick up hcg but that wont be straight away like a hcg would ..not a reliable method at all x

6 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo