Community post

Journal

Growing a Large Family

There is some sort of preconceived notion associated with having a large family. After we had our 4th baby, almost everybody asked if we were done. "Is your DH having a vasectomy?" "Will you be getting your tubes tied?" Some people make it seem almost shameful to even think about having another baby.

The looks we get in the store when going out with our "large" brood is sometimes comical. Some brave souls will even meander up to our cart and ask personal, sometimes rude, questions. I calmly and respectively assure them that yes they are all ours, no we are not a daycare/school function, yes they were all planned, no they are not a handful, yes we planned to have them this close in age, and yes we are planning on having more. That last response usually causes the jaw-drop phenomenon. :)

My kids love having siblings to play with. I grew up in a family with four kids, and my DH grew up in a family with five siblings. Not huge families but more than twice the size of the average 1.8 children per couple in the USA. My eldest always asks for more siblings (more specifically he asks for brothers... poor guy with three little sisters, lol). He thinks it would be great to have 20 kids! (I *think* we will put our limite to 6 kids, lol!)

It isn't always easy having a large amount of kids. Kids are expensive, so we cut costs in every way possible being a one income family. (I can't even imagine how much daycare would cost for all of our kids!!) We clip coupons, buy used items, garden, cloth diaper, and make extra money whenever possible. We instill good values in our kids and teach respect starting at a young age. Our kids are nowhere near perfect, and that probably stems from the fact their parents are nowhere near perfect. We have our ups and downs. The great part, though, is that when I'm feeling down, there 10 hands there to pick me back up. :)

If you have any questions about growing a large family, or if you have "a lot" of kids, I'd love to talk! :)

User Image User Image

2 Comments • 12 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 2 of 2 Comments

Can relate... My family actually sat me down after I had my DD and DS, and (because my former husband was flaky) & first my sister actually offered to pay for a partial hysterectomy for me then my family tried desperately to convince me that I shouldn't have anymore... My youngest DS was the breaking point for my first marriage, but I had come to grips with it and was prepared to be a single mom... Needless to say, in the last 4 years I have not told my parents or sister that DH and I are trying for his first... I recently told my brothers and they are hopeful for us... Pretty sad when you can't lean on your family during a long, difficult TTC journey... But I was so very thankful to come across the site and my best friend has been such a comfort to me as well... DH and I would really like to have a few babies together if at all possible... But we are in a good position to provide for a large family and that's exactly what we want...

12 years ago

I have been lucky enough to have 5 children in my life. My husband is the youngest of 6 boys. And we are blessed to have the 5 we have. I know people think we are crazy when we go to the grocery. And seeing the children all about a year and a half apart makes people ask a lot of very rude questions. And then I drop the big bomb on them... So we would like to have one more... or who knows. We will be happy with what God gives us. People look at us like we are crazy when I say that.

12 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo