Community post

Question

Can follicles disappear or stop growing?

This is my 3rd cycle with clomid. First to cycles I took 25 mg and only had one follie. This cycle they increased it to 50. Today is CD 10 and my US showed 4 follicles (3 right side: 14,13, and 12 mm and 1 in the left side 11mm). The dr told me if all 4 keep developing we will have to skip this cycle bc of the high chances of all of them getting fertilized. So is there any chance some of them will stop growing or disappear? Thanks

53 Answers • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 10 of 53 Answers | Last Page

Absolutely, follicles can slow down and or stop growing. I've had cycles where I started off with 4 follicles but on iui day, only 2 where mature. Do keep in mind that the opposite can happen, all 4 can mature. That being said; it doesn't mean that all 4 will contain a mature egg (some follicles are also empty).

Good Luck :)

2008 - Laparoscopy for endometriosis 4 years of TTC (I suspect endo is back due to symptoms but no doctor will beleive me) July 2012: referred to Fertility Clinic August 2012: Test results are back High FSH, Low AFC (could be caused by endo) As I though, the endometriosis is back (take that doctors, I was right, you were wrong) Male factor (perfect count, they are just too stubborn and too lazy to swim properly, LOLL) August 2012: Moving on to IVF

9 years ago

Is there any way to know if some of them will be empty (with blood tests)? Thanks I hope at least 1-2 stop!

9 years ago • Post starter

Just to show, I found my iui follicle growth excel spreadsheet: on CD8, I had 10-8-8-7. On CD12, they measured 17.6-16 and the other 2 had stopped growing at around 10. This was also on a daily Gonal F injection cycle. Anything can happen.

:)

2008 - Laparoscopy for endometriosis 4 years of TTC (I suspect endo is back due to symptoms but no doctor will beleive me) July 2012: referred to Fertility Clinic August 2012: Test results are back High FSH, Low AFC (could be caused by endo) As I though, the endometriosis is back (take that doctors, I was right, you were wrong) Male factor (perfect count, they are just too stubborn and too lazy to swim properly, LOLL) August 2012: Moving on to IVF

9 years ago

Thanks! I hope it happens for me too. Will know on Friday when I go back :)

oupps, sorry, hadn't seen your reply :), yes and no, with an estradiol (estrogen) blood test, they can see how many of your follicles are actually mature (size isn't everything, LOL) but it will not confirm if there are any eggs present in it or not. The only sure proof way to know if your follicles all contain an egg or not, would be to undergo IVF.

9 years ago

So I might still have a chance... I guess if it it meant to be it will I went from being thrilled of having more than 1 follie to dissapointed bc now nothing might happen.

Of course you still have a chance. It's not over yet, you will be getting a better picture on Friday. Your follicles are not yet mature, you just never know what can happen. I know how you feel though, on one of my cycles, all 4 were mature and I got the cancellation speech. I still went ahead with the IUI and it didn't work either so.. LOL.

Let me know how it goes on Friday :).

9 years ago

My problem is I am going on a trip on Saturday... so won't be able to continue monitoring... But I think I should be very close to O. Last cycle I O on CD15 and the follicle was way smaller. My biggest today at CD10 is 14 mm and last cycle same day it was only 11mm. I will let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed, thanks for ur support!

I'm here anytime :), I don't know all but know enough (after monitored cycles, IUIs and 5 IVFs, LOL) ;-).

Just remember that no two cycles are alike and that this time around you are on a higher dose :).

My last monitored cycle, I used opks as well as u/s, so when I couldn't get an u/s, I had my opk and they were dead on... If come's Friday, you are not ready to O, maybe try the opks :)

Can't wait for your update.

9 years ago

I fully agree with tiredofwaiting. After 16 monitored Femara + gonal f cycles and 6 IUIs I am concluding it is a real crapshoot. Some follicles grow, others don't, some mature, others won't. I hope things turn out well for you this time! Best wishes and the Lord's blessings.

9 years ago

Last page

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo