Community post

Question

Sore breasts from ovulation until period, why?

Hi, we hand been trying for a baby for the last 2 years, lost 3 in the first year and haven't got pregnant since, for the last 3 months (this included) I have had such sore breasts from the day I get a positive ovulation test right up until my period arrives, I've heard this is because there is a rise in progesterone, but what does this rise mean is it good or a bad thing to have a rise during ovulation? Anyone else had this each month and then got pregnant?

8 Answers • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 8 of 8 Answers

My bbs soreness definitely has to do with progesterone. When we ovulate that site becomes the CL, or corpus luteum, and it secretes progesterone. If it receives no baby signal the progesterone drops off and AF shows. I definitely get sore bbs until a day or two before AF. No pregnancies for me yet :(

TTC #1 since October 2012. Me: Diagnosed with Graves' (Feb. 2013) and Celiac (July 2013) disease. Doctor suspicious of stage I endometriosis (Jan. 2014) DH: SA very good in Jan. 2014 Me:30 DH:29 April 14th first BFP!!! EDD is Dec. 26th! please send !!! User Image User Image

10 years ago

It is just the progesterone that causes breast tenderness after ovulation. I'm on my second pregnancy, and didn't get the real "oh my gosh my boobs are killing me" sensation until about 7 weeks preg.

10 years ago

So you never got sore breast until 7 weeks? Did you ever get sore breasts from
Ovulation until af? This has only started happening to me in the last few months, guess I'm out this month then. :(

10 years ago • Post starter

And progesterone is essential for conception so it is a good thing. The rise in progesterone tells your uterine lining to thicken to prepare for a fertilized egg. If an egg implants, the progesterone maintains the pregnancy until the placenta takes over at 10 weeks or so. If you do not conceive, the progesterone levels plummet & you start your period. Without proper progesterone levels, pregnancy is impossible.

10 years ago

Oh, they would get tender, but not like they do when you're pregnant. The tenderness from pregnancy is a whole different ball game. All women are different, so you're not out until you start your period! Gl to you!

10 years ago

Thank you for all the info, fingers crossed

I've had the same thing the last 3 cycles, OD to AF, the girls are swollen and sore. Driving me crazy, because it's how my boobs felt when I was pregnant, same timing and everything, but I'm still not pregnant (I'm in my TWW now-maybe I am?). Very frustrating. I wish my womb came with a indicator light.

10 years ago

I'm in my 2ww 6dpo at the moment, doesn't seem that anyone gets preg when they have sore boobs from ov to af, I'm yet to hear of anyone, every month I think I could be and am kidding myself I think, even words when my two best friends are preg and due the same month. X

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo