Community post

Question

Does it matter if you use a reg thermometer to check temp?

I'm 17 dpo & checked my temp orally it's 99.7 (I'm 2 days late) but I didn't take it first thing in morning,it was middle of the day. Advice?

User Image

8 Answers • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 8 of 8 Answers

First. A reg themometer will not give you accurate enough readings to check basal body. It needs to be to the tenth degree(ex.97.45. Not to the fifth. 99.7). And second, basal body temp should be takenwhe. You wake up. Before you get out of bed, talk, basically before you move. I have an alarm set at 630 am and check it every morning at the same time. And you cannot just start taking temp to see if you are pregnant. Some women run with high temps. You have to take it consistently for months to even know a pattern.

10 years ago

Take a hpt if you think you are pregnant. If its neg, than your period is probably just late. Gl

10 years ago

Thank you that helped a lot :)

User Image

10 years ago • Post starter

A regular thermometer will confirm ovulation for u, so if thats all u have and wanna use it go ahead, I did for my first 3 months of temping. A regular digital thermometer checks to the tenths (there is no such thing as fifths past a decimal), a basal will temp to the hundredths. A basal is obviously gonna be more accurate but seeing as a rise of .3F is needed to confirm O, a regular thermometer will catch that. Ur taking a day temp and that only tells u what ur temp is after whatever it is that u have been doing.

10 years ago

Thanks a ton!! Very helpful! If didn't conceive this month ill be using this technique

User Image

Ur gonna love it! Probably not at the beginning, but it gets very addictive, and u start to hit a point when missing a temp or waking up early/late, pisses u off lol! True story!! =))
Use this time that u arent temping, to see what time u wake up at, naturally vs ur alarm. Ex. Ur alarm is set for 7, but u almost always wake up at 5:30 then doze back off, the time from 5:30-7 is not enough time to get a basal temp from (3 solid hrs or more), so thats when u'd set the alarm to temp at 5:30 and go back to sleep til 7. Know what I mean? The more hours of solid sleep before temping, the more accurate that temp will be. Lemme know if u need help with it or reading ur chart. Good luck!! =))

10 years ago

I have been using a basal body temperature thermometer specifically for tracking fertility, cost me less than $10 from CVS and have been using it for about 9 months. We've gotten pregnant twice since then (we lost the first to miscarriage) and I'm currently expecting in February/March of 2014. I noticed my rise in BBT and it allowed me to pinpoint pregnancy at 9DPO. I feel like that's a miracle but the BBT charting definitely gave me a heads up. Good luck to you!

User Image

10 years ago

Thanks so much :)

User Image

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo