Community post

Question

Booked into have a Hysterosalpingogram. Who had success after this being done?

I have made an appointment with they gyno for a Hysterosalpingogram procedure. I am thankful that this is the next step but nervous too. Who has had this done and what success did you have?

MummaRomer84

7 Answers • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 7 of 7 Answers

For me...it was an uncomfortable procedure. The clamp they put onto the cervix is a pretty good pinch. I am usually one that has a high pain tolerance but I ended up in tears. I had a blockage that prevented the dye from entering my uterus(ended up being a uterine polyp)....so overall it was not a good experience for me....HOWEVER...I have 2 friends who've had it done and had no problems...could be a difference of physician or just my intolerance of pain that day! Good luck with your procedure! :-)

11 years ago

Thanks for your answer, I have heard and read that is can be uncomfortable/painful for some women. I am hoping for a clean bill of health but of course open to every outcome. I am just happy that my Dr and Gyno are looking into my TTC journey and not passing me off to 'wait it out 12months' and then come back.

MummaRomer84

11 years ago • Post starter

I really did not enjoy this test, but it did result in my first BFP. In fact, I am having a repeat HSG next week (to clean out the cobwebs as per my Fertility doctor)
Good luck!

User Image

11 years ago

Thanks asuperfreak! That is what I wanted to hear (not the pain) but the BFP! Let's hope it cleans out my cobwebs too. I am worried as it is right in the middle of this cycle's fertility window and I read that the ink could hinder this conception (if indeed it took place). I just have to leave it up to the universe I guess :)

MummaRomer84

11 years ago • Post starter

DH and I were trying for over 1 yr to conceive, & Dr's first had to rule out if either of us were going to have fertility issues. This procedure was quite painful, I was giving a sedative to take prior to the appt, I worked halfday in the AM & then took the rest of the day off. My husband also took rest of the day off, he was my driver. So I ate lunch & then took the 1 pill I was prescribed & went off to the appt. Im thinking the fact that I ate, & potentially took my pill a little too late was the reason for all my pain. I recommend taking whatever sedative or pain medication they give you with plenty of time for it to start working. I was given a clean bill of health, but it was later discovered that dh had a varicocele &had extremely low sperm count. He had a surgery to help fix it, but we still had to do IVF w/ ICSI. On our 2nd trnsfr we got preggo with our daughter whos now 5, but the big surprise was when she was 3 months old I got prggo naturally & we

11 years ago

Cont... One thing to I found helpful was I kept thinking about it as another step towards something I wanted more than anything, a baby!! I also did TONS of research prior to my hsg, and there we also women slwho told me that it wasnt that painful.. who knows if they were lying or telling the truth. But I just kept thinking that the pain woh ld be over soon and I would be one step closer to getting to become a mommy. I find that that thought helped me... kind of like a mind over matter scenario. Just try to be as relaxed as possible and to thonk happy thoughts... it'll be overbefore you know it and you'll be one step closer to reaching your goal! Good luck!!

11 years ago

Just had HSG today. I was told by a coworkers I would experience discomfort but that was about it. I found out later today she took a Valium beforehand! I went in totally underestimating the pain and did not take anything beforehand. I consider myself to have a high pain tolerance and my husband was very surprised to see me holding back tears when I walked out. Maybe it was just me or the way my cervix was tilted but this was VERY painful for me. Never had anything like this done before. Luckily it is a quick procedure. I don't want to scare anyone but I just want you to be prepared. I would take a sedative or Tylenol beforehand, maybe this would have helped me. I am still achy as I write this. Went back to work from the dr and I found it to be kinda miserable. I'll be taking it easy tonight! Hope this helps friends! *babydust*

11 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo