Community post

Question

Periods irregular for last couple of months

Hi All. I have a question relating to cycle length: When I was in my teens, my cycle varied a bit from month to month. I am not sure exactly how much, since I didn't track it that accurately back then but I remember that they weren't exactly the same every month. I went on birth control when I was about 20 and had been on and off it for about 11 years before I stopped completely due to us ttc. When I was on the pill my periods were obviously very regular and for the first year after going off it my periods remained perfectly regular. However over the past 6 months or so I've been noticing that my cycles have become more and more irregular. In the beginning one month was 27 and the next 28 or 29, but now they vary by as much as 5 or 6 days (one cycle being about 25 days and the next around 30). Is this my body finally getting back to its normal routine? Am I finally rid of the effects of the pill? What is going on? We have been ttc for over a year with no luck.

User Image

2 Answers • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 2 of 2 Answers

I don't know, but it sounds similar to my experience. Anything from 21-35 days is pretty normal, even if it is a bit different each cycle. Sounds like your body is finding its own rhythm. Remember that the period you get when on the pill/ patch is a withdrawal bleed and has nothing to do with real periods. Doctors say that you could keep taking the pill constantly without the week off without it damaging your health.(This always surprises and slightly alarms me!) My cycle has been as short as 19 days and as long as 33. I think that my body is affected by how physically active I am, how much sunlight I get, how much sleep I get, whether I'm putting pressure on my abodmen (eg when wearing a wetsuit and diving!). I've even heard that it is possible to regulate your cycle by the moon if you spend time looking at it/ keep the curtain open during the fullest part of the moon.... wouldn't work for me (if it works at all) because of the streetlights and floodlit football field nearby!!

5 years TTC. Endometriosis and adenomyosis. Surgery. 2 IVFs. No joy. Low ovarian reserve. Is there any real hope? DE IVF = next step. Much higher success rates, but so used to things not working, it's hard to feel too hopeful. Wishing others an easier time.

11 years ago

mmmm got that same prob!! mine started after my d&c so i dont kno if its gonna jus stay like this or will go back to normal.... will b on the lookout for more answers on ur thread mayb i might get an anwer too!!

26.4.13 praying... afta 2 d&c's + a natural miscarriage, its really hard to get excited

11 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo