Community post

Question

confused about chemical pregnancies, implantation and miscarriage

I'm very confused about this topic... from what I have been reading you can only experience pg symptoms and a + hpt when the egg implants... but... a chemical pregnancy is there the egg is fertilized but doesn't implant... but you still get a + hpt and some symptoms.

see where I'm a little confused?

Also a MC is where the egg implants but is lost anywhere between the first few weeks of pregnancy up to a month or 2 before birth

So with all that said how can you only get a + hpt if the egg implants when so many women have "chemical pregnancies"?

is it a fact that only implantation can cause the production of hcg? or is hcg produced right after the moment of conception (dividing of cells) and hpts can pick up on that limited amount in the urine?

if no then wouldn't a "chemical pregnancy" technically be a miscarriage?

just trying to pass the time in the tww and this slue of questions popped up. comments would be very nice and helpful.

thanks

Jessica User Image

3 Answers • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Answers

A chemical pregnancy is a very early miscarriage - it is just not usually termed a miscarriage. The egg does implant with a chemical - but is almost immediately lost. It happens so early that many women get their period right on schedule. That period, however, is something more. Sometimes the egg implants for just long enough to trigger the production of HCG so that it shows up on the super early response pregnancy tests. It is usually the case where that wonderful second line is very faint and never gets darker and ultimately disappears. Does that help?

11 years ago

What stephpan said is correct. Although technically, any miscarriage prior to confirmation by ultrasound is termed a chemical pregnancy.

11 years ago

Thanks ladies. my Dr. was of no help at all when i asked him that. he just told me to check out the Mayo clinic online... and i not only did that but i checked out a new obgyn too lol. you all have been a great help. thanks

Jessica User Image

11 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo