Community post

Question

How long should I have a smiley face for???

Hiya,

Last month I had a smiley face for two consecutive days, this month it was positive for just one day. Does anyone know what this means? If you O 12-48 hours after your first OPK +, shouldn't you get a + for at least two days running?

Do people tend to carry on testing even after getting a smiley face just incase you don't actually O in the first instance?

5 Answers • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 5 of 5 Answers

Ive been using opk for about 4 cycles now and usually have multiple but what I've read is that for some reason the body doesn't ovulate it keeps trying too

11 years ago

Well last month and this month I got positive OPK's for a little over 48 hours. I took an OPK on the first day at 6:00 pm and got a positvie, the second day I took one a little after 6 am and it was also positive and the same day at 9:00 pm (the second day) a little over 48 hours and it was negative. By doing that I now know I usually ovulate 48 hrs. after my first positive. Hope this helps!

11 years ago

I used this analogy for somebody else, maybe you'll like it, too. Think of the opk as a breathalyzer and you're out for a bunch of drinking. When you drink, your blood alcohol level starts to rise and will register on a breathalyzer test. However, you aren't legally drunk yet. After a certain amount of time and drinks, you hit the legal limit and you ovulate. Your blood alcohol level (or LH) might even go a bit higher, but in any event it takes some time for it all to metabolize out of your system, so you might still get a positive for a bit.

Me: 45, unexplained (but now ancient) Husband: 46 (perfect in every way) Married 21 years 1 daughter born 07/2011 after TTC for 12 years

11 years ago

Oh, I should also mention that my doctor told me that most women most often get their surge around 10:00 a.m., so testing between 2pm and 6pm is best. However, that's not all women and not all the time. You could surge earlier or later, and the length of you surge isn't a fixed amount of time each month either. So when using opks for timing IUIs, they suggested testing 3 times a day and stopping after the first positive.

Me: 45, unexplained (but now ancient) Husband: 46 (perfect in every way) Married 21 years 1 daughter born 07/2011 after TTC for 12 years

11 years ago

My doctor told me when you get a positive you have around 12-48 hours until you ovulate. I went to a fertility clinic and had IUIs so they would have me take a shot to induce ovulation and then have me come in 36 hours from when I took the injection. Sometimes when I came in for the IUI I had already ovulated other times I hadn't within 36 hours. On the cycle I ovulated I went in a 1PM, exactly 36 hours from the trigger and I still hadn't ovulated. Went back in the next morning at 7 and I had. So at most I think you got a 2 day window. The length will very a bit and is probably why you had one day versus the two.

11 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo