Community post

Question

When do I stop taking progesterone? Before period with confirmed BFN, OR continue and wait till AF?

Hi ladies!

Long story short, I've had 2 miscarriages in the past year and no children yet. After my 2nd MC my doctor prescribed me 100mg of oral progesterone to take when I get my BFP.

Anyway, I had my last MC on April 2nd and my husband and I have ttc this month for the first time since then. Anyway, this past month i've had some symptoms that made me really think I am preg. Symptoms that are very similar to the last two times I was preg. I really kept feeling like I needed to start my progesterone.. so I did! Better safe than sorry. I figured if it turned out that I wasn't preg, the worst that could happen would I would just be out this cycle... but IF my gut is right and I AM.. then this could save my baby.

ANYWAY, lets say i'm not pregnant... my understanding is I would just keep taking the pills until AF comes... then I stop and just try again next cycle. I read online though some ladies said they found out they weren't prego and stopped takin the pills before AF came.

2 Answers • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 2 of 2 Answers

DONT STOP ... call your doc and tell them you need a blood test ONLY STOP WHEN THEY TELL YOU TO !!.... if u stop cause u think you should youll bring on AF purely as progesterone is there to build the placenta.... a friend of mine has an issue holding onto her and she is no STILL taking hers but she is 12weeks you have to been weened off if u are preg

11 years ago

There is a lot of disagreement as to whether progesterone pills work at all because they have to go thru the digestive tract to be metaboloized and loose some potency, but you should definitely keep taking them until you know you aren't pregnant. If you stop taking them and are pregnant it is not supposed to make AF start or interfere with the pregnancy in any way, but if they work and you are pregnant they could help the pregnancy be viable. I took them with my 2nd child due to low progesterone levels. When I got pregnant with my 3rd child I asked if I should take them, and my doc said there's no evidence they work, so if I wasn't having issues to not worry about it. They made me extremely sick, too.

11 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo