Community post

Question

What is the difference between a chemical pregnancy and a miscarriage?

What is the difference between a chemical pregnancy and a miscarriage?

Poll:
pretty much the same (9 votes)
completely different (3 votes)

4 Answers • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Answers

A chemical pregnancy is the clinical term used for a very early miscarriage. In many cases, the positive pregnancy test was achieved before the womanâ??s period was due but a miscarrige occured before a heartbeat was able to be seen on an ultrasound. ITS JUST A NAME FOR A VERY EARLY MC

11 years ago

I think I read that they are both technically a miscarriage, but the difference is that with a chemical pregnancy, the pregnancy is lost before a heartbeat is even detected.

11 years ago

A chem pg'cy is just an early m/c. I prefer to call my first loss an "early miscarriage" because I knew for awhile and got excited, told my hubby and family, made a doc' appt, etc. But my "chemical pg'cy" I wasn't sure was even a real pg'cy because I got some faint + but they were all with the infamous blue dye. I weirdly had blood drawn that week by coincidence and it came back +. But by then I'd had a whole menstrual cycle and knew I was not pg. (It was life insurance medically testing- not testing by my OB. Total coincidence that I even "confirmed" that I had been pg, since it didn't show up on my pink dye tests and I didn't trust the blue.)

11 years ago

HI..
ive had both unfortunatly...
Here is the general difference:
A CHEMICAL PREGNANCY/CHEMICAL MISCARRIAGE- this is when the egg is fertilised but does not implant... this occurs b4 5 wks and needs no medical treatment
A MISCARRIAGE- this occurs from 5wks on and usually requires medical invervention i.e. D&C or medication.
Hopes this helps

11 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo