Community post

Question

Low Progesterone, Clomid & Prometrium

So I have been reading into having low progesterone and taking clomid. I have found that some women continue taking medicine to help with the low progesterone for the second half of their cycle and for the first few weeks of their pregnancy to prevent miscarriages. My doctor only wants me to take prometrium (progesterone) for 10 days to make AF start and then start the clomid CD3, but said that after taking the clomid, I should not need to take anything else to help with the progesterone and that hopefully the clomid will do the trick. I was just wondering what your thoughts were, and if you were doing anything else with the clomid.

When I did think that I was ovulating (which my doctor said that he thought I had not been at all) it was normally around CD20-25ish (which I was using OPKs to determine, but I still felt uncertain with the results, because the test line seemed to get close to the control line, but never darker). Today is CD16 for me and I am to begin the prometrium agai

User Image

8 Answers • 12 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 8 of 8 Answers

I wish I would've kept up with my BBTs this cycle, maybe the prometrium would've made a difference in my temps, because before they always seemed pretty low and sporadic.

User Image

12 years ago • Post starter

r u asking to see if u shud continue progesterone after O ? I think it would be worth asking,causes no harm,have u had ur pro. tested? mine was 12 on cd 19 and my dr thinks its low.

12 years ago

I took Clomid for 2 cycles and it didn't help with my progesterone levels. Both cycles I had a luteal phase of 12 days then AF came on CD13. This cycle (first cycle after using Clomid), I did ovulate natually and am now trying Emerita Pro-Gest Menstrual Solutions Progesterone cream. I'll let you know how I do on it and what happens...hopefuly this cycle I get pregnant:-) I have PCOS and a tipped uterus so hopefully everything works out! Hope it works out for you too!:-)

12 years ago

Well, I'm not really sure if I've O'd yet, but my cervix seems high and soft today. I am going to take an OPK in the next hour and check. But I haven't ever had much luck with the OPKs because my doctor doesnt think I ovulate at all. And yes, I have had blood work done, and found that my progesterone levels are too low (not sure of the exact number). I haven't started taking the prometrium yet this cycle, but am supposed to start tonight. And yes, please keep me updated cophersgirl. Thank you ladies!

User Image

Today is CD16 for me and I am to begin the prometrium again (which by the way, I did at the end of my last cycle to because I was supposed to start clomid this cycle, but AF showed up after only 5 days of taking prometrium instead of 10, and my doctor was not in the office that day to consoul and prescribe the clomid, so I had to wait). He did say that maybe, by chance, having one cycle with only prometrium would help get things moving along. Anyhow, today is CD16, and (sorry TMI coming) my cervix seems high and soft. I also noticed a little increase in cervical mucus. It's only about 1mm or so stretchy and just a little bit is cloudy, so I was wondering if by any chance, I am now ovulating. I took an OPK the last three days and all were negative with the test line barely showing. I am going to take another one on my break just to check and see. My DH and I are going to just incase, which we have still be doing every other day just to increase or chances anyway. So if, by any chance,

User Image

So if, by any chance, I am ovulating or had ovulated within the last week, would starting the prometrium tonight (as advised by my doctor over a week ago) ruin my possible chance of becoming pregnant this cycle or retaining a pregnancy this cycle? (Sorry had to continue, i didnt realize my posts were being cut short) copying and pasting. lol

User Image

Because I have had 4 mc's (going through the 4th now) this is what they are having me do as well since I dont make enough progesterone on my own. We started out with just the Clomid days 3-7 for a couple of cycles and we got preggo!! but unfortunately my pro dropped severely a couple of days later so now I am on the clomid and then on CD 17 I start progesterone suppositories (Crinone 8%) until day 30 and if I am not pregnant I stop and wait for AF. If i am I continue to take it. Just to let you know, my Dr said that Prometrium is supposed to be used to induce the period not for Progesterone therapy since it is synthetic and can cause miscarriages. Crinone is supposedly bio identicle and stops the period to allow for a possible sustainable pregnancy. We haven't tried this yet but next cycle we are going to give it a shot. I would ask your Dr aboout it.

User Image

12 years ago

Ashes - I am so sorry to hear about your losses. :( I pray that you will get your sticky bean soon. I started the prometrium again last night, I'm not sure if I ovulated this cycle or not. All of the OPKs were negative.
Thank you for your response, I've never heard of the crinone before. I will ask my doctor about it. I am hoping that I can finally get my BFP with clomid, but I am terrified of going through any miscarriages. I don't know how low my progesterone hormones were, but they tested on CD21 and said that I had not ovulated and that the progesterone was too low. I am staying positive about the clomid, and if I recall correctly, the doctor said that if the clomid works by forcing ovulation, then hopefully my hormones will take over on their own. Do you know if clomid usually helps regulating progesterone after ovulation? Please keep in touch. Best of luck and wishes to you.

User Image

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo