Community post

Question

Right off of birth control...go back to original cycle?

Before I started on birth control I had a cyle whete I was on my period for a week then off for two. I got off b.c and my fiance and i had sex two days after. I am now having extreme pregnancy symptoms. My question is if I am likely to be back on my original cycle? And if I am should I take a test soon since I would have already missed my period?

4 Answers • 12 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Answers

Most ladies don't immediately go back to their original cycle. It can take a few cycles to regulate again. I've also heard MANY women say that after they get off BC the first couple of months they have many symptoms that can mimic pregnancy - this is usually hormones out of whack adjusting themselves.

Of course it is possible you are pregnant and if you are "late" by your "normal" cycle you can test now for sure. good luck!

12 years ago

See I read about that too but I was on nuvaring and there is no ecidence suggesting nuvaring causes those symptoms...im hoping for the best!

12 years ago • Post starter

I didn't go back to my normal cycles. I was on nuva ring for about 6 years until I switched to the pil just for one month. In july 2011 came off everything completely. It took about 4 months for my cycles to regulate. I wasn't charting bbt or using opk's right away so I just have to assume I was ovulating but I don't know for sure. Even now my cycles vary every month. And I O on different CD's every cycle. I'm not sure if its the BC that cause pg symptoms. In most cases the birth control is out of your system right away. It might take a while for your own natural hormones to regulate. I think its just progesterone in general that's causing symptoms that are similar to being pregnant.

12 years ago

I'm in the same boat right now. I finished my last pills in December and had a normal withdrawal bleed afterwards. I ovulated 2 weeks after that so I *should* expect AF today. I have had a lot of pregnancy symptoms and no sign of AF today. I took a HPT this morning and it was BFN. I am going to wait 2 more days then test again if AF hasn't arrived then wait another week if that one is a BFN as well. I have read that coming off the pill and cause pregnancy symptoms and that some woman take several months before they start ovulating again. Everyone is different, so it's pretty much just a waiting game. And believe me, the waiting is rough!

12 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo