Community post

Discussion

TTC - Everything we did and what finally got us Pregnant

The reason for this post is to hopefully help someone in their TTC journey.

Note: before we started TTC, I went to my OBGYN and did all the tests, which came out all good and I was sent home to TCC and come back either if I am prego or after one year of trying. I have been using Ovulation Prediction Kits since about 6 months of TTC and got positive OPK every CD 18-22.

I never thought I would not be able to get pregnant, so it was quite a realization when month after month we got BFN and after a few months I started to research...

I thought I had regular cycle, I knew exact that my period would start, turned out not so much. My cycle was 38 days long and that is not considered regular (regular cycle considered to be between 21 to 35 days), so even though I got it every 38 days, it was not regular based on my research and later my OBGYN.

I have had an excessive unexplained hair loss past 3 years, which all of the doctors I saw attributed to stress...

I have had excruciating pain on left side of my lower abdomen every month at the time of the ovulation.

What I was able to research seem to be that I had PCOS.

We tried every month unsuccessfully and at the year mark I made an appointment with another OBGYN (since old one stopped taking our insurance)

Going in to the doctor I was sure she would diagnose me with PCOS and was hoping she would have some sort of solution.

Quick ultrasound showed that one of my ovaries is showing signed of PCOS, but she had to run the blood work. Blood work came back normal and she suggested we continue trying at the same time she agreed that based on the symptoms I was having I probably have PCOS.
All of my instincts told me something is wrong and I have expected more tests, but she insisted on us continue trying.

After few months, I came back for a consultation and told her that I am convinced that something is wrong and insisted on some sort of medical solution.

Options I was given:
1. Take birth control for 3 months, then stop and TTC
2. Laparoscopic ovarian drilling

I have never in my life taken BC and the idea of it terrified me, so I ruled that out.
The idea of surgery terrified me
When I suggested Chlomid or Femara, she said they wont work and those are the only to options I had.

I remember walking out of OBGYN office completely confused and scared.

Nothing that the doctor did made sense to me, but I kept telling myself, that she is the doctor and she must know what she is talking about, MISTAKE NUMBER ONE!

By that time we change our insurance and my old OBGYN was accepting it, so we decide to have a second opinion before proceeding with surgical intervention. But if you have TCCed any time, you must know how exhausting it feels to wait yet another cycle and we want to rush time and fix what ever is wrong as soon as it humanly possible, so I was still strongly considering the surgery at that time.

What a difference doctor can be, as soon as I walked through the door they run several excessive blood works, ultrasounds, send my husband for test - everything came back normal. My doctor agreed that I might have PCOS based on how one of my ovaries looked on the ultrasound, but she was not convinced.

We did 3 rounds of Chlomid (unsuccessful)

Then she wanted me to do hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to check my tubes and uterus before we considered more options.
The test must be performed before CD10 (at least at the radiology place that did it for me), so we had to wait till my next cycle, since it was just after CD10.

Going to my appointment, I was feeling all sorts of emotions... I hopped that everything was OK but at the same time I hopped for answers, I of course researched about and was prepared for all sort of pain and possible answers that they could give me, but I could not have thought of what was going to actually happen.
The tech explained me the procedure and prepped me for the radiologist, once the radiologist came in they started the procedure, but to my surprise and something that I did not prepare myself at all, they could not run the test! What?! The radiologist has to insert small catheter, to inject the dye, but she could not do it!
Once she was done trying, she advised me that my OBGYN had to dilate me and then I would come in for the procedure, she also mentioned that this might be the reason we can’t conserve.
We had to wait another month, since my appointment was on CD9 and they would not schedule me again, even though my OBGYN would squeeze me in to her schedule for dilation.

Next month, my dilation procedure was schooled morning of the HSG test; I went in like a soldier, knowing how much I would have get though that day.
Per my OBGYN, while she did the procedure of dilating me, she said that it does look like I might have cervical stenosis (the passageway through the cervix (from the vagina to the main body of the uterus) is narrow or completely closed), which meant that the radiology tech was right at saying that my cervix was closed.
Right after the procedure, I went to have HSG done, which was successful and came back with no defects found.
That cycle we got pregnant :) we lost the baby, due to chromosomal dis balance, but this is completely another story.
I really hope this can help someone going through TTC either with some helpful information or give you hope to not give up :)

Please write any questions or if you would like to know more details on any part of my journey

0 Replies • 6 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo