Community post

Discussion

1st ultrasound end with more questions than answers

I had my first ultrasound two days ago. During, the tech looked really uncomfortable. I tried making small talk but she was focused on the screen so I said things like, "That's my ovary" "That's my uterus" "Right?" She got paranoid and asked what I did for a living, "Health Care Administration" then she asked, "Do you have a medical background?" and turned off the screen that allowed me to see.
I responded very little.
She finished and logged out of everything. She said she needed to "Go tell the doctor she was done" and was gone for 15 minutes.
The doctor (my doctor is on vacation so this was a partner) came back in and said she wanted to run some blood work.
I asked if everything was fine on the ultrasound and she said "it's too early to tell" and she would "need to confer with my ob-gyn when she gets back"
They took my blood and said the results would be back today.
I called today and was given a back and forth "call back later/someone will call you" then finally right at the end of the day, I get a call from a nurse saying that my labs were sent to California and won't be expected until mid to late next week. (I'm in Illinois so what does California have that Barnes in St Louis, IU Medical in Indianapolis or any of the huge hospitals in Chicago does not have?)
She says "sometimes our labs go there."
Also that my obgyn isn't coming back until Monday and the doctor that saw me wants to wait until they review the ultrasound together to give me results.
BUT the nurse threw in at the last second, "If your period doesn't come by the time we talk to you next week, we will give you something to make it come."
"UM WHAT?"
"Is there anything else I can do for you, you sound upset?"
"I'm concerned. I'm worried. I don't understand what's going on."
"Well there is not much more information I can give you, you'll just have to wait for the results and for your doctor to call you back."

So, WTF???
I'm so worried. I've had a period come a week or more late twice before after strong positives.
Why the hell would a nurse say that when I am waiting on results that she can't tell me?
Not being told why the labs went to California, why I was told two days for test results and now over a week, what exactly the doctor saw that wants to discuss with my doctor.
I just wish I had some answers.

Does anyone know why a doctor wouldn't just tell me, why she would want to talk to another doctor about my ultrasound?
Or why labs would take longer that they originally told me?
Or why labs from Illinois would get sent to California? (They use Quest Diagnostics which has hundreds of other locations closer than California.)

1 Reply • 6 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 1 of 1 Replies

I'm sorry that happened to you. I went through something sort of similar. I had a very faint positive pregnancy test, so I went in to get blood drawn. They called to confirm I was pregnant and that they wanted me to come in two days later to get my blood drawn again. I didn't think anything of it. For almost two weeks, they had me go in every couple days to draw my blood, but they never told me why. I volunteer at a pregnancy center that does ultrasounds, so I went in for one. She couldn't find the baby and mentioned ectopic, but tried reassuring me that I may just be super early. I outright asked the nurse the next time they called about my results if they suspected ectopic, and she said no, they were just watching my hcg levels. Not long after, they called and wanted me to go into the office. The doctor was just like, "oh hey, we are going to give you a shot tomorrow and you'll be fine." He acted like it was no big deal. He didn't even say at first what was wrong. It was ectopic, and they wanted me to take a shot. I freaked and was in denial, so I never went in. I felt like they didn't take it seriously and were just jumping the gun, because they hadn't even done an ultrasound and I read that they should have. I ended up in the ER a couple days later because I started bleeding, and I consented to the shot. I'm honestly still dealing with what happened and it's been almost two years (I constantly test now because I'm so paranoid it'll happen again). Anyway, that could be what it is and why they think you'll have your period. I have no idea why some doctors and nurses lie. They work for us and not the other way around. I don't know why they would say about the results taking that long. There's no way it should, especially if they acted worried about it. If I could do it differently, I would have been in the office demanding answers and to see my results. I didn't know at first to ask what my hcg level was, so when they get back to you, make sure to ask. I hope this isn't the case for you. I also think it's illegal for them to shut the ultrasound screen off, but I'm not 100% sure. I hope you get answers soon. Pregnancy can be stressful enough without the professionals you are trying to trust acting like things aren't a big deal.

6 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo