Community post

Discussion

Femara & Ovulation

After TTC for almost two years now, I am on my 3rd medicated cycle taking Femara on CD 3 - 7 and then using a trigger shot followed with progesterone.

The first medicated cycle my BBT was all over the place so I assumed it was off due to the medications. I went in for a follicle scan and was told to trigger on CD 17. Normally I'm a very regular 28 day cycle and ovulate around CD 14. I was told the Femara will delay ovulation so there's nothing to worry about.

The second cycle I didn't do BBT because I figured there was no point as it was all crazy the first medicated cycle. Femara again on same cycle days. Went for follicle scan and was told not to trigger until CD 21 which is a whole week later than my usual. On CD 28 I started my period as any normal month even though I was on progesterone and they said I shouldn't start until I stopped it.

Now on cycle 3 I am taking my BBT again per recommendation of my acupuncturist. She has a feeling I'm actually ovulating BEFORE the Dr is telling me to trigger. According to her, her other clients have much closer monitoring of their follicles than what I'm receiving. (Last cycle I went in for a scan on CD 12 and didn't trigger until CD 17 so that was 5 days in between) My BBT has been super "normal" again this cycle. According to my chart I already ovulated 5 days ago on CD 13.. my follicle scan is later today which is CD 18.

Sorry this was kind of long.. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me? Is it likely my Dr's office is off? Should I be getting better care than this? I just don't know what to expect. I'm frustrated that I was ovulating on my own very regularly before the medication and now I just don't know for sure bexiass the Dr is telling me it's way later than what it seems it is.

3 Replies • 7 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

That is ridiculous l. Fertility meds don't always delay O. On clomid, I went in on cd 12 and I had to trigger that day, which I think was too late because I went home and used an opk and it was positive. My body was already in the process of ovulating itself. Next time I will go in on cd 10 for a follicle check. By cd 12 both eggs were already very large at 22 mm.... I think they need to listen to you and your concerns or you need to find a new dr. I would definitely be doing an US at cd 10 or 11 ....

Mill

7 years ago

My RE starts ultrasound on CD9 or CD10, depending on if it falls on a Sunday or not. Based on the size of my follicles on the scan, I then have a follow up scan every other day until they are large enough for me to trigger. That is the only way the doc will know if they are growing to the correct size and be able to pinpoint ovulation. I take letrozole cd3-7 and typically ovulate CD10-12. This cycle my follicles didn't want to grow so I wasn't able to trigger until CD16. I would tell you doc you insist on more scans or find another doc to go to.

7 years ago

Thank you both for your replies!

I went in on CD 18 for my first scan and showed the Dr my BBT chart. I told him according to that I had already ovulated FIVE DAYS ago. He sort of laughed my off at first like I was just being paranoid, but then he told me he thought I could be right. They sent me for a progesterone blood test to confirm ovulated and the test came back positive.

Still debating about switching docs. I think for now I'm going to continue the Femara and just tell them no trigger shot. I can pinpoint when I'm going to ovulate on my own and don't need them giving me the shot way late to mess things up.

7 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo