Community post

Discussion

Shitty Things People Say When You're TTC

Let's compile a list of the shittiest (albeit usually well-meaning) things people say to us as we're TTC!

I'll start-

"We just found out we're expecting baby #2! Now, if you would hurry up and just get pregnant..."

"You have to stop wanting it and thinking about it so much. When you do that, you'll get pregnant."

"Oh, well you have to track your temperature and have sex in crazy positions. You must not be doing it right."

(BIG EYE ROLL!)

I love my family and friends and know they mean well but what they say can be so hurtful when you've been trying for months and no baby yet. I know it will happen when it's supposed to but telling me that doesn't make me feel any better!

Your turn- what are some of the crazy things people have said to you while TTC?

26 Replies • 7 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 10 of 26 Replies | Last Page

My mother-in-law gave me a book on adoption as a Christmas gift a few years back. She didn't need to comment at all. The book title was clear "Should you consider adoption?" Well-meant but obviously not well received by us.

7 years ago

My mom told me while ttc my 2nd.... "You know you're getting older, right?"

7 years ago

@mozart, that's terrible!

@lunaneil, I hope you show her soon enough!

7 years ago • Post starter

"Do you want (father of her kids) to teach (my husband) how it is done?"

7 years ago

I have 5 kiddos and was asked "are you sure you need more", "are you one of those breeder couples", "you know there are ways to prevent that". ????????To those people!

7 years ago

When we were trying to conceive a couple of years ago my older sister said in disgusted tones "HOW OLD ARE YOU?" It was a couple of months prior to my 40th Birthday.

7 years ago

Some recurring ones during our 4 years TTC;

What are you waiting around for?

Come on, then we can be bump buddies...

Are you having sex? (Usually the medical profession)

Have you tried...... (insert your own tip here, we've heard them all and tried them all!)

You should have kids, you'd be great parents.

Aggh! ????

7 years ago

I have a new one to add!

MY SIL, who was going on a first date (met online so didn't know him at all yet) jokingly said to me, "yeah it's getting pretty serious. You could say we're 'trying' too. Maybe I'll get pregnant before you!"

Not a funny joke.

Really not funny that you said it in front of my mother-in-law and I have been happily married for almost 3 years and TTC (loosely) for almost a year.

Jumping in here because this one is the story of my life lately. Anytime I go out in public at least one person asks when we are going to have kids. Last Wednesday at the YMCA two different people asked within minutes of each other. Of course I don't want to tell them that we are trying, but come on now!!

"When are you guys going to have babies?"

"Your babies are going to be so beautiful?"

"What are you waiting for?"

Ok, so the second thing is of course flattering, but the first thing is getting old and the third thing makes me want to slap someone. We aren't waiting on purpose!

7 years ago

@Rickyandlucy (love the name, BTW!)- I totally get it! Can be so frustrating. May I ask how you handled it? I find that I am, in all things- good and bad, an open book so I find it hard NOT to tell people in some form or fashion that we are indeed trying, when they ask or make a comment. I just don't know how to keep that stuff to myself when it's the truth- but I'm certainly not thinking that's a good thing!

It definitely is flattering that people think you'll make good parents of pretty babies! Our time will come :)

Last page

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo