Community post

Discussion

HCG issues

So over the weekend I was having bad back pain and cramping. So I went to the ER. Ultrasound showed the sack and a light shadow but not measurable, and doc said im just a bit early to see anything.I was about 5w4d at that point. They couldn't figure out where the pain was coming from. Cervix is closed, nothing to indicate a miscarriage. My hcg level was 3600, my obgyn came and saw me and said every thing looked great and the pain isn't pregnancy related, but to go back monday to get my hcg rechecked cause it was so high, she thought maybe there could be twins. Monday, I went and got my labs, the on call doc called and said my numbers only went up 600 points, not doubled like theyre supposed too. So he instantly said im gonna miscarry. How is that accurate information? I said nothing is indicating a miscarriage, so he said to go back in wednesdsy to have them rechecked. And then suggested a d/c!
So im stressing. Idk what to think. Im only 6 weeks today and my dates could be a little off. I'm just lost and confused

Anyone have any stories to give me hope? Any advice?

3 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

Hugs to you. That sounds really stressful and confusing! I don't think that doc knows what he's talking about. Our hcg levels don't always double! I remember with my now 11 year old daughter, my hcg #s weren't increasing like they 'should' at the beginning of my pregnancy and I was so scared. But everything turned out totally fine, and she came out a 9 lb healthy baby girl!

So try not to panic, even tho it's understandable to be confused with the info you've been given plus your back pain. I bet everything will turn out just fine, and hopefully you'll get some reassuring answers very soon. Keep us (me) posted, and I'll be sending positive vibes your way. Take care.

9 years ago

That was very helpful and kept me positive at my appointment today. I had my blood draw and i still did not double. The doctor told me that this pregnancy is not healthy and that I will most likely miscarry but asked me what I wanted to do. I wanted a ultrasound so I am getting one tomorrow evening. I then asked what happens if the ultrasound looks good, and he pretty much blew me off. He said the only way that my pregnancy is going to turn out okay is if I was pregnant with twins and lost one. And after reading about vanishing twins, i think that may be the case, since they thought i may be pregnant with them in the beginning. I'm just staying positive, if i was going to miscarry, why would my numbers still go up? He didnt seem to want to answer that question for me either. So tomorrow will tell. Fingers crossed I see baby!

9 years ago • Post starter

Was just wondering how everything went? I just wanted to let you know that once your hcg levels get so high they won't double every 48 hours. Usually every 72-96 hours. If everything turned out fine I would look for a new Dr if you can. Hope things were good!

9 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo