Community post

Discussion

McClintock Effect....

Have you heard about the McClintock Effect? It is a theory, based on an actual study of 135 college dorm residents that explores the phenomenon of cycle synchronicity,

Some people believe in it, others dispute it vigorously. I personally have experienced some syncing with my best friend over the years when we spend a lot of time together, also with various female family members.

I have been worried that I might be entering the area of premature menopause this last year because my once regular cycles have become so erratic. I am now working on my second 50 day cycle, and I am actively TTC.

I was just laying there trying to think of what else could be going on with my body. PCOS? Premature Menopause? Hormonal Imbalance? Then I realized that my cycles began to gradually get irregular a month or two after I moved in with my parents.

I am 32, I have 1 son who is now 8 years old. My mother, fertile myrtle, has had 3 live births and 3 losses. She is now 53 and going through the beginning stages of menopause. Is it possible, I wonder, that her pheromones are throwing my cycles off? If one considered the McClintock Effect, and believes in the likelihood of a group of females consisting of a cycle-leader and cycle-followers, then theoretically this might be possible.

Something to ponder.

Do you have any experiences with cycle-syncing? Have you noticed a change in your cycles while spending large amounts of time with a woman in the beginning stages of menopause?

For me, going through premature menopause is a scary possibility. Though the statistics say I am at low risk because none of the females in my family have endured it and I have gotten pregnant and given birth, it is still on the table. I want to go ask my doctor for some blood work, but fear she would scoff at the possibility.

User Image

2 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

I never heard of that but I do believe it. Ive sync w my sis, sis in law n ex bf before. Depending who im around the most. As for coping ur mom n menopause, that seems kinda crazy...and sucky if thats whats really happening w u. I dont think the dr would push that to the side since some females do start the beginnings of menopause in their 30s. U mite just also have a hormonal problem effecting it all. I would get check. But dont tell them ur trying to get pregnant. They mite make u wait 6 months tracking ur cycle b4 doing aanything.

9 years ago

I teach 10th grade and fully believe in syncing because of it! I work in a self-contained class where the students and teachers are in the same room all day, so lots of time spent together. Somehow whenever I had my period so did the majority of my female students. It was weird and created a very moody class for a couple days every month!

9 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo