Community post

Discussion

Fertility After a MC or CP - When to Try Again

After I had my miscarriage of my first pregnancy back in late 2014, I had a bit of a dry spell. At the time, my mother assured me that I had a good chance of getting pregnant again right away, but the time wasn't quite right.

Now we've been back to trying again with no luck conceiving our first child until last cycle's CP. This time we didn't skip a beat. We started trying again at the first sign of ovulation.

Out of curiosity, I looked up information on how fertility changes after a MC or CP to find out what the deal is. What I found was that in the few weeks following a MC or CP, you do have a window of so-called "super fertility." What this means is that the very next time you ovulate, before you even have your first normal AF, you are much more likely to release two eggs rather than one. This of course gives you a better chance of at least one egg being fertilized and implanting. The potential draw-backs, however, are that this also increases the chance of twins AND your chances of having another MC or CP.

For those like me who have been trying for years for their first child, this poses a very important question... Do you wait for normal fertility to return? Or do you take hold of this increased chance for pregnancy along with the risk?

Some may have medical reasons for waiting, as it may not be safe yet to ttc. But barring such circumstances, I personally think the risk is worth the potential reward. After so many years of trying with so few eggs even beginning to implant, I would rather risk another early loss than pass up such a prime opportunity.

At 38 (almost 39) you have to start considering that you may not have all that many chances left. While the risk of a consecutive MC is about 50% higher if you conceive directly following one, your chances of conceiving are almost doubled. Just doing the math on that one seems worth the risk. But maybe that's just me.

0 Replies • 7 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo