Community post

Discussion

4 failed IUIs, time for IVF?

Hi all, I've been reading these forums for a year now. We are TTC for our first. I'm 30, DH is 31. Had lap surgery last year for mild-moderate endo and 1 endo cyst. With acupuncture, my cycles got a lot better, but have been a chronic luteal phase spotter - since taking progesterone suppositories, this has pretty much stopped - made my LP longer.

I've had 4 IUIs now. Today I started spotting (14 DPIUI), which pretty much has my convinced I'm out again. Now with progesterone, I spot for days 27-30 or 31 and then get my period, whereas before, I'd spot from days 22-25 or 26 and then get a period. I don't even want to test, I feel like I can't look at another negative test :( For me spotting = its over.

I feel like it's torture going through these IUIs and not have them work. Like a cruel joke. Like the RE knew it may not be the best option for me, but its what they do first. I just don't get why they aren't working if the RE thinks all my numbers are good and DH's numbers are good? My tubes were open last year post surgery -- perhaps that could be something, but otherwise the nurses say everything looks "beautiful/perfect, etc" each time and wish me "good luck", like its something in my control. I'm just feeling sad because I have no friends that are going through this. It looks like we may be moving on to IVF, which my insurance covers 4 in a lifetime, but I know the meds may still be expensive and I may have to wait until Jan or Feb to start.

Anyone have multiple failed IUIs and in that transition of moving on to IVF? I need some positive vibes.

2 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

Hi lili0825 I'm 4 days past my 2nd IUI. We've been ttc for 2 years, and have been diagnosed as "unexplained". DH and I are both 32. I'm not hopeful at all that this IUI will work- I've known a few couples to do IUI's and it has worked for some, I just don't have any optimism left. Our doc recommended that we do 3 IUI's and if they don't work we'll move on to IVF. The earliest we can start those would be February. This entire process is very frustrating and like you said it certainly feels like torture. I don't know why I get my hopes up at all at the beginning of a cycle. Sucker for punishment I guess. I only have one friend who has gone through this- she now has a healthy IVF baby. I think that's why I just want to do that instead of going through IUI #3. People who have never had to deal with infertility just don't understand how stressful it is. I don't know about you but it consumes my life.

9 years ago

Hi Browni55, Thanks for your reply. I completely hear you. I try to remember what life was like before we started TTC. It has taken over aspects of my life. I wish I could share with people what I'm going through, it really doesn't make sense to me that there is a stigma surrounding infertility. I have shared with close friends & family, but they have no idea what it's really like. They think they're helping when they say, "just relax!", "it'll happen!" What do you do for support?

I got a negative test result today. So IUI #4 is definitely, officially a failed attempt. I'm just waiting for the call from the IVF clinic to start booking my appointments -- looks like I'd be doing it right around Jan or Feb, too.

One thing I'm wondering is why in online communities or even in the paper work handed out by my clinic do they make IVF sound like it will be the most emotionally taxing, worst thing you'll ever go through. At this point I feel like, whatever, I realize its much more invasive as far as meds and procedures, but once you've started down the infertility path, it seems like just another step. I think to myself, I'm sure it'll be super taxing and emotional, and sure I'll have to go to the clinic A LOT -- I'm a bit scared about side effects of drugs, but my husband had a very serious diagnosis and complex surgery two years ago that had me questioning whether he would live or not and I think, nothing can be as bad as that. This was in our first year of marriage. So, my hope is that if we got through that and then a year later me having several ER visits from endo and burst cysts, followed by my lap surgery, we can get through IVF!

I wish you the best on your journey. I often feel alone in this. Thanks for sharing your experience - know you're not alone!

9 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo