Community post

Discussion

The Low Down of HPT's

We all do it. I did it. You did it. Its human nature to scrutinize tests after TTC for so damn long!
But here is the low down on tests.

Digitals: We, of course want, to tear them apart and scrutinize and then our heart misses a beat because we see a second line even though the test said "not pregnant" These tests will generally always have a second line. The intensity of that second line is what determines if the digital will show those beautiful words "'Pregnant" So save yourself some heartache and money and don't take those digis apart and hold off using one until you have a clear positive on the old fashion II or + HPT. Digis are not as sensitive as the basic HPT.

Looking after the time limit: Once again, its something we all do. Throw the test away and then we have this moment hit us and we want to go and look again. If a positive line does not show within the listed time limit, do your best to not look again. Hard to do, I know!!! Tests after the time frame can cause evaporation lines which we end up thinking might be a positive and it ends up causing heartache when our AF shows.

Watching the test as it processes: This is not the best idea because as the dye runs across the test and control line we often see a pink or blue line on the positive area of the test and once again our heart misses a beat. This is merely the dye passing by. We often start wondering how it could have been pink for a few minutes and then it disappears.
But as the dye passes by it makes contact with the positive area and looks like a positive temporarily. So try not to stare at the test after peeing on it.

I see tons of photos with descriptions of temporary lines, two lines on digis or possible evaps and I know what it feels like. Wondering, waiting, scrutinizing, and waiting some more.

Pee on your test, set it aside and set a timer for 5-7 minutes and walk away. I am no pro on HPT's but like many of you I have been on this journey for just about 3 years with IVF and a major loss.

I wish all of you ladies tons of baby dust and the strength to get through the dreaded TWW

0 Replies • 7 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo