Community post

Discussion

Heavy periods, my experiment worked!

IF YOU ARE SUFFERING HEAVY PERIODS YOU MUST READ THIS! What I have discovered may help you!

Warning, TMI!

A little about me: I am 39 and 3/4 and have always had what is suspected were heavier periods than the average. Even through my 20s unless I was I was on the pill they would drag on for 8-9 days. After the birth of my first child they became heavier and odd as in I would have a heavy flow which would abruptly stop and start over the course of about 10 days. I found it annoying but was still able to conceive and went on to have four more pregnancies, two births and two miscarriages.

After the birth of my second child I was diagnosed with a platelet disfunction bleeding disorder and I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Every doctor I've seen has either suggested the pill, courses of progesterone and as of this year I take high doses (12 tablets per day) of tranexamic acid with each period.

Since the birth of my youngest and 3rd baby my periods are awful! I have wound up in the ER twice this year flooding profusely and each period has lasted at least 7 days of flooding followed by another 9 days of spotting old blood (like a black sludge) which I have been sure is leftovers from such heavy bleeding. I would still be discharging this sludge right up until ovulation and we're trying to conceive our 4th. Very stressful!

I'm on a waiting list to see a gynaecologist who I'm sure is going to recommend an ablation which would end my fertility.

So, I wrote a question on here and didn't get anywhere. I then started googling. I again found very little as far as solutions other than the usual medical hormonal or surgical intervention BUT I discovered that a sign of low vitamin D is heavy menstrual bleeding. I know already that I am deficient. I then found that a sign of low vit A is heavy menstrual bleeding and same for vitamin K.

I wondered why not one doctor had even mentioned this as it seemed so simple, maybe too simple. Also I found that my cycle had shortened to 25 from 28 days and would literally start with a silent gush, no pains, no spots just a bright red flood.

So I formulated a plan. For one month I was going to supplement with as much vit A and K from food (plant sources) as I could. I also was religious about my vitamin D supplements. Apparently it is difficult to overdose on vit A and K from foods as opposed to manufactured supplements and these can be dangerous at to high an amount.

I devised the following diet and supplement plan:

- I ate kale (Tuscan cabbage) every day. Not a huge amount I just used it as a replacement to lettuce as a side salad to my meal. So obviously I've eaten it raw. Apparently liver and unrefined cod liver oil are rich in Vit A but I'd rather eat a whole crop of kale than either of these. If you decide to eat liver, any more than once or twice a week and you risk overdose.

- I ate either carrots or sweet potato (yams?) with my nighttime meal nearly every day. Mashed or baked.

- I've taken 100mg of b6, a multi mega B vitamin once daily to complement the B6 as B6 needs other B's to absorb properly.

- I've taken 250mg of vitamin C. I didn't go over the top with this as I read a couple of conflicting things about vit C and ttc.

- I added a 2000mg odourless :/ fish oil and a 1000mg unrefined flaxseed oil capsule daily

- of course I've kept up my prenatal vitamin for the frolic acid and added a multivitamin, making sure to choose one that wouldn't overdo the rest of my mix.

- lastly I've added a little zinc.

Yes, it's a meal in itself and I only have the results of this cycle to go on BUT FOUR AMAZING THINGS HAVE HAPPENED!!!

1. My skin looks like porcelain! If this was the only result it's amazing. At least if I was going to wind up back in the ER I would make a beautiful haemorrhaging patient! Apparently the better looking you are the faster attention you get so this is not to be sneezed at! Lol

2. I got a BFP! Being the poas addict I am I couldn't help myself and got a faint but definite positive on 8dpo. Sadly it faded but it gives me hope that I am still fertile and my efforts aren't futile. When that happened I was terrified as to whether it meant I was in for an even heavier period!

3. My cycle lasted the full 28 days. Admittedly the jury is still out as to whether the chemical I'm sure I had caused this but I am hopeful it was the B6.

4. My period has been a delight! I know, sounds silly seeing all I want is a bfp but the difference is nothing short of incredible! It started with a spot of old blood the night before just like when I was young. I then started properly the following morning and had two days of normal first two day full flow. It then tapered off steadily to nothing by day 5. I am now day 6 and have nothing. It seems to be over!

I am AMAZED. Why has every doctor gone straight to medical intervention without a word about these simple changes! I know it's only one period but this is the first time in 10 years I've had such a textbook normal period!

The only other difference apart from being porcelain skinned and not bleeding to the point of death is that I had proper period cramps this time. And I'm taking it as a good thing that my uterus was working to clean itself out . Previously I had only very mild pains but the blood would literally pour out and then seemingly 'slough' off for days and days afterward as though my uterus was ineffective at emptying out properly.

The only disclaimer I'd like to add is that I did take my tranexamic acid during this period. I was too scared not too, maybe next month I won't. Either way this period was sooo far removed from what I'm used too I just couldn't keep this to myself. Like I said I spent hours scouring the net for answers and decided to make my own plan and it seems to have worked. Of course if I don't get my BFP this month I'll report back on my next AF.

2 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

Oh yes, I nearly forgot, last time I was really distressed that I didn't get any egg white cervical mucous. This time round I had it in abundance! I did read that B6 can improve cervical mucous as well. Our modern day diets are so far removed from what nature intended sticking to the typical food pyramid is obviously not enough for me. I am now converted to eating a variety of unprocessed foods in their whole form as possible!

9 years ago • Post starter

Update: I am now cycle day 7. No spotting, nothing. My cervical mucus is barely there and clear/white if at all. This time last month it was still blood stained. Yay! I'm amazed!

9 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo