Community post

Discussion

Negative blood test yesterday AM, now positive HPT today????

We've been TTC this month. On Wednesday night, I took a HPT - it was negative. Yesterday I went to the OBGYN for my annual and mentioned that we were trying to conceive. Dr ordered a blood test to see if I was pregnant since AF is due on Sunday. Dr's nurse tell me this morning that my beta results came back negative. I was impatient and took an HPT this morning, but it's positive. Has this happened to anyone else before?

I had a chemical pregnancy in January, so I know how the HPT results can get darker before getting negative. I am PRAYING this is not another CP. The reason I think this one isn't a CP is my HPT on Wednesday night was negative.. With the CP, the day before I got blood taken, it was a VERY faint positive. I would love to hear your stories... Maybe give me some hope! :(

3 Replies • 7 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

Hi,
Firstly, I'm not sure if AF showed up for you or not (as I'm presuming you meant it was due yesterday). If she hasn't showed, there is a chance the blood test was wrong.
My first pregnancy, I had a large spot of blood the night before my period was due. 12 hours later and AF didn't show. Went to the doc and he did a pee test and it looked really really faint positive. He suspected I was preg. Sent me for a blood test and it came back negative. I was so upset, but all weekend AF still didn't show. (This was Friday). Monday night I bought a preg test and it was positive. Went to a different doc next day and it was negative. Did a test 2 days later and was positive as soon as my pee hit it. Went back to original doc the next day and he did his test again and was definitely positive. In the first instance he ordered just a plain yes/no test, which if you're levels are under (usually) 25mlU then it will say negative. This time he did the quantitative test and it was over 300 - definitely pregnant.
It may be the case that your doc ordered the yes/no (qualitative) test, and even if you're level was just under the threshold of the labs cut-off point, it still will say no.
I'm hoping for you that the blood test was just done too early and that your BFP on your test is an indication of a sticky little bub!! Please keep us posted.
Amy.

7 years ago

Hi there! No sign of AF yet... Crossing my fingers. I took another HPT yesterday & the line is darker than I've ever seen before. I'm praying it was just too early & that I hadn't produced hcg yet. Here's my tests from Friday & Sunday. User Image I have a quantitative beta test scheduled for today, so I'll post my results tomorrow when I get them!

7 years ago • Post starter

Hi Miss Cleo,

I couldn't access/see your pic. Did you post it to the gallery at all? Maybe I can find it that way?

But it sounds very promising to me - AF hasn't showed, and the line has got darker. I'd say, more than likely they did a yes/no preg test on you, rather than finding out your actual levels, and you're levels were just not quite high enough (like mine wouldn't have been with my DD), and so the test said not pregnant. But yeah, it really seems to me that it was just too early for their tests to pic it up.

Good luck, and yeah, I'm really keen to know how it all turns out for you.

7 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo